What was wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Locksmith

View in Gallery

I turned this pen, at 3200 RPM on my Rikon 70-105. I had terrible chip outs on this blank, luckily I stopped and finish shaping the pen with 150 grit sandpaper. Other acrylic pens I have no problem with. I got this blank from Rockler. I used a carbide tipped turning tool, both the round and square would just dig in. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance
Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That looks like inlace acrylester. If so, it is a very chippy polyresin, that polishes beautifully and makes a really nice pen.

Turning it takes practice--Exotics does NOT sell it, for that reason. But I turned it often in our "art & craft show" years--the colors are stunning.

If you master a skew or roughing gouge, it will make the odds of your success improve dramatically---but you will still need to practice!!

Good luck!!
ED

mmayo

Ed is right, of course, but also try to carefully turn the edges and then work the middle. I still don't love inlace though I turn it more easily after learning this suggestion in this forum.

Agree with Ed above 100%. Among the tougher materials to turn - sharp tools are an absolute must. And I have never had much success with inlace and carbide. And PATIENCE is a must, also. LIGHT, LIGHT cuts. But, oh so worth it.

Oh - and paint your tubes/blanks.

I'm not a very experienced turner, but have turned inlace with great success. Ditch the carbide tools, a very sharp spindle gouge worked wonders for me after rounding it out with a freshly sharpened roughing gouge. The Sorby spindlemaster also worked very well. And as mentioned, VERY light cuts. I'm still learning with a skew, when I get it down I'd probably choose it over either of the other two. The shine you can get from inlace is tough to beat, so your patience will be rewarded. I also noticed that anytime I had to start sanding with 150 I was never able to get all the lines out which didn't leave as nice of a finish, but this goes for any resin. There were always fine lines that looked plain ugly under 10x magnification. That could just be my lack of skill when transistioning to the higher grits, but it has never been a problem with wood even when starting at 80 grit.

Last edited:

OZturner

Another supporter for Ed, and a General cutting tip, is to present the edge of your cutter, at an angle, so that the object is sliced by your cutter, in a Sheering Action, as apposed to presenting the full cutting edge to the Blank, as in a Scraping Action.
Plus of course the Cutter needs to be Sharp.
Regards,
Brian.

Skie_M

Or, if you have a true squared carbide bit for your cutter, or even one of the radius bits ... presenting the CORNER of the bit may give you much better results as you round out the blank.

Following this up with VERY LIGHT passes with a decently sharp carbide bit or very sharp HSS tools will yield great results.

eranox

Another penturner, another opinion: I have always found inlace acrylester to be brittle and difficult. I have found that presenting a rigid tool to any squared resin blank (and especially inlace) is always asking for trouble. I skip the roughing gouge, and go straight to 50 or 80 grit sandpaper until the blank is cylindrical or nearly so.

Not only does this get rid of the corners, but it gets the blank good and warm, which makes it softer, easier to turn, and much less prone to chipping. I have carbide tools, but I have not had the best of luck when using them with resin. The tools are essentially scrapers, but the carbide holds no burr, and so you tend to use more lateral pressure to get the cut started. That's when it digs in, and when your blank explodes.

I use a round nose scraper for all of my rough shaping on resin. You can probably interchange any steel tool there and have similar results. The round nose only contacts a small part of the blank, so virtually no lateral pressure is needed for the cut to start. A flat nosed scraper contacts a lot of the blank, so there is more tendency for the blank to chip instead of start to cut nicely. I have still had better results with flat scrapers than with carbide, though. That's been my experience, and yours may be different.

I turn resin at pretty high speeds. I start with the blank warm, as mentioned, and the scraper will get warm as I work, which makes things easier. At too high a speed, the surface of the blank will melt and smear a bit. This is skin-deep, so not to worry: just back the speed off a bit and go at it again.

For finishing, you want slow speeds. There is no danger of chipping here, so just keep the speed down and the pressure light to avoid overheating and melting the surface. I wet sand with MicroMesh, and I typically skip the two coarsest grades, depending on how good a job I did with my tools. I typically don't buff my pens, but I should. Regardless, the MM does a good enough job that I can't tell much difference.

I hope this was helpful!

After reading this, I may try a heat gun on low setting to warm the blank. It didn't dawn on me until now that I turned inlace in the summer without an issue.....

Top Bottom