What would you with this hole?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Turned and polished the cap - beautiful. Unfortunately the lower barrel had this void/ bark inclusion or something that came right out.

If it was your blank, would you fill or abandon?

What would be your choice to fill with if that route?

It's not at order. Just a pen I'm making. Was going to be a jr gent but may end up being an atrax instead depending on the result.

Attachments

• image-777485594.jpg
    image-777485594.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 411
  • image-3493578836.jpg
    image-3493578836.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 325
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Concur with above post. Buy some ground turquoise, coral, and/or blue agate or another colored powder and fill. The color will draw eyes to the pen and it will sell.

Martin G

I've filled smaller holes with Pearl-X and CA. Not sure it'd work on a hold that big but if you've got some in stock it might be worth a try.

brownsfn2

Cut the rest of the wood from the brass tube and re-use the tube on a new blank. Whenever I have filled holes the never turn out looking as good as I thought they would and I end up wasting too much time trying to make it work. Wood is relatively cheap. :)

kovalcik

If the hole filling does not turn out, cut the wood off the tube and use a completely different wood for the lower barrel. Looks like you meant to do it that way!

Last edited:

stonepecker

This is what I call a learning experience. Try something and if it works......GREAT. If not, then discard the bottom and save the top. A new tube is cheap. You never know what the future will bring.
Hope that you can make it happen.

KBs Pensnmore

I would fill it with crushed stone or similar. When this happens to me, I put a thin layer of sanding dust and put in an opal chip, then fill/cover with CA/sanding dust. It's better sometimes just to throw the wood out, if it is nothing special.
Kryn

allisnut

I think turquoise would look better than sawdust, my $0.02. Coffee grounds may be a good, also. I'd go with contrast instead of camoflage.

JerrySambrook

Its just a piece of wood with no significant value.
Turn it off the tube and restart.

IF the wood has some significant story to it or meaning, then it is worth trying to save.
Other than that, it is just a piece of wood

healeydays

Its just a piece of wood with no significant value.
Turn it off the tube and restart.

IF the wood has some significant story to it or meaning, then it is worth trying to save.
Other than that, it is just a piece of wood

But what a perfect time for Dan to try something new. If it works great, if it doesn't, then recover the tube by turning it off.

Dan Masshardt

I am going to do something with it. Maybe some wood dust. Maybe some powder.

It's not That special but was labeled heritage live oak and appears to be stabilized. And I like it.

Russianwolf

Pick a color that will compliment it in your eye and fill the void. This is no different than any worthless wood cast, you are just doing it after the fact instead of before.

walshjp17

For me, since I have all these K-Cups laying around, I would just use the grounds from this morning's coffee, a bit of CA and call it a knot/feature.:coffee:

Joe S.

I'm for color here, I think a light blue would look nice. Maybe cut little lines (like when you do burn lines) and fill it with the same or complimenting color on the other side and on the cap. Just throwing ideas around! That wood seems too nice (to me at least) to throw away without a fight.

Sometimes I grab a chunk of chard wood out of the smoker and run it across a piece of 220 grit sandpaper to make a little fine dust... fill the hole with the dust and drop a drop of thin CA on top of it and it's fixed. Black may be too harsh for that blank though.

gimpy

I have a spice grinder, $10.00, and then take some of the wood chippings, put in the spice grinder, grind as fine as you can. (the more chips in the grinder, the finer the chip dust is. secret is to put the fine powder in the hole and add med ca on top with acelarator.....take fine cut with a round nose tool and sand...
at least it works for me

mdm0829

Embossing powder from Michaels or stationary store. Lots of colors and not expensive. Use CA and fill it. If you don't like the color, dig it out and start over.

Top Bottom