What would you do...Engraving Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

SO....I have these two barrels that have been laser engraved, and I have done the color filling on these. I am just looking for a couple of opinions. Because the black lines here are pretty thick, not quite an eighth of an inch wide but close , I worry about their longevity. I filled them with acrylic paint, and am just wondering if I should take some clear fingernail polish to the lines. I think I want to keep the texture of the engraving, so you can tell it is engraved, not a label, etc...So im not sure I want to fill them flush, but most likely would happen with polish, ca, etc etc etc....Is this even a valid concern? Im sure the white initials are good to go, although I would probably try to treat each barrel the same way...Just looking for input as I don't want the paint to rub off during use as Im sure some skin contact will be made while writing....Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• BryanEng.jpg
    BryanEng.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

Thanks Wayne! 1 for 50 views ain't bad! I was thinking about brushpainting it with some thick ca. Just to seal it, but it will most likely be flush so I may as well flush it up with paint. I'm going to run it by my client in the AM, still open for advise though. When you flush fill it do you still ca finish it? Ive mainly dealt with engraved wood or acrylics that flush filling is the only option bcz of the thinness of the engraving lines...

Ed McDonnell

If you have adequate depth to your engraving (0.010"+) then you could fill the colored engraving with laminating resin (e.g. Silmar 249). It will end up filled flush (after cleanup turning and sanding / polishing), but since the resin is clear it will still show the depth of the carving. The downside is you won't feel the engraving. The upside is your color won't wear out.

Ed

2 for 99!!

1080Wayne

Thanks Wayne! 1 for 50 views ain't bad! I was thinking about brushpainting it with some thick ca. Just to seal it, but it will most likely be flush so I may as well flush it up with paint. I'm going to run it by my client in the AM, still open for advise though. When you flush fill it do you still ca finish it? Ive mainly dealt with engraved wood or acrylics that flush filling is the only option bcz of the thinness of the engraving lines...

My experience is only with wood , and I have always used medium CA to overfill the engraving , sanded down flush , then thin CA as finish . The larger the engraving width , the more of a pain the process is . I seal the wood with 3-4 coats of thin before engraving . Not sure what the engraving depth would be .

Top Bottom