What would you do in this case?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
A friend who is the financial officer of a local Corvette club asked me to work up some ideas for club pens. I did a few samples and he settled on one for himself in the Designer style and a Apprentice Jr Gent for the "official club pen" he would use for club business only. He indicated he would try to get the members to order pens for themselves but that didn't happen. The Jr Gent turned our really nice made of curly bubinga with the club logo engraved and gold filled. Ken Nelson did the engraving and it was superb. My actual cost in materials and shipping for the bubinga pen alone came to $57 plus or minus some change. I charged him $125, a friend remember, and spent lots of time getting the logo right, turning and finishing the parts and assembly. Now the problem. Today he gave it to me saying the cap wouldn't post. I brought it to the shop and examined it to find the internal threads, that are plastic, were damaged. It looked like it had been cross threaded and the lower part of the threads are actually missing, broken and gone. He said he did nothing to damage it, it just stopped posting. I endeavored to remove the broken section planning on using a new kit to repair it but in the process I damaged the engraved upper part beyond use; the engraved bubinga is trashed. This whole saga took place over the last 13 months. Now the question. What do I do, should I give him all of the money back? Do I ask that he take 50% responsibility and return half the money? Make a new pen at no charge? Tell him it's operator error and he should stick to Bic pens? Ethically, morally what is right in your minds?
Thanks, I just want to do the right thing and not wreck a friendship.
WB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

raar25

The thread damage happened to me as well (remember I know what I am doing with these). The threads in these kits is not very heavy duty. Unfortunately I think you are asking because you know the answer, you just don't like it. IMHO, you should replace the pen, and give him a good lesson in threading the cap.

loydstuts

IMHO this is going to affect your friendship in some degree. If you refund the money, I think you will have that in the back of your mind. If you don't, then you run the risk of losing a friend. This is one of those cases where your own moral compass must point the way. Be blessed!

Reactions: Big

robutacion

Well, if those kits have that fragile capping thread, and he likes the cap threaded when in use, I would telling that, due the the attempt to remove and replace the damaged parts that, you occidentally damage the engraving and therefore, it became unusable, you are willing to make him a brand new pen as per before, if he accepts the use of a different kit that offer a much stronger posting threads.

It may cost you another $60 bucks to fix the problem, have have it done ASAP and get the issue out of your back, it certainly shouldn't be dragged for another 13 months, get it done and over with, for the sake of both of you...!

Cheers
George

plantman

Having been in Corvette clubs for many years, I can tell you the members are a totaly different breed of people when it comes to dealing with problems !! This would be my suggestion. If he is a valued friend or not, it will be your name that is praised or suffers on the outcome. This is what I would do. Bite the bullet and take the hit. Make him a new pen to replace the old one, but tell him it will have to be a different style, one with metal threads. I have had quite a few of the plastic threaded pens cross thread or break in my hands after just a few cap and uncapings, and I have put together thousands of pens. Even better yet, I would make a magnetic pen like the PSI Vertex Supreme. Car guys love those faceted styles, reminds them of nuts and bolts related to cars, and you can't screw them up. You may also get some orders on this style pen from other car guys. Not only does love hurt, but friendship can also. Good luck with your outcome. Jim S

BSea

I think the Vertex idea is great. I was thinking of the Desire from Lazerlines. Stainless steel threads and American made. I think I'd also bite the bullet on this one regardless of the kit. Good luck

scotian12

Bill...a friend is more important than any pen in the world. Fix him up immediately at no charge and maybe throw in another free pen for his trouble and waiting time. Retain the friendship and I'm sure eventually you will get another order from members of his club who heard that you were a good business person to deal with.

thewishman

Before posting this I reread it and want to ask that my comments be read in a kindly tone - they are not meant to be mean.

If it were my customer, I would apologize and explain that since making the pen and now, I have found some much better components and will remake the pen, at no charge, with those*. Also explaining that in the future, those failed components would not be used, and pens like the new one will be $XXX, to reflect the better quality of the findings.

I would also thank him for bringing the issues to my attention, and ask if I could follow up in a couple of months to find out how the new pen is doing. "By the way, here are a couple of new refills that I have discovered, they are much nicer than the ones I used previously, would you please give them a try and let me know what you think?" I would hand him a couple of Schmidt 5888s and thank him for giving me the chance to make things right.

*And not 10K gold!

====================================================

This paragraph is meant to sound like I am shaking my head in wonder.

Why would anyone sell an apprentice pen, especially to someone who may want to order additional pens? The savings of between $6 and $12 dollars (in not using an artisan model) has now cost a whole new pen, a lost opportunity for reorders and, possibly, a friendship.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I apologize for my post being a little incomplete. The pen components need to be gold and he prefers a rollerball. Is the Artisan Jr. Gent all metal threads, or, is there another you would suggest? I've only used the apprentice version of the Jr Gent. I too like the Vertex but knowing his tastes, he wouldn't.
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. I had pretty much decided I would remake the pen but wanted to get some other perspectives on the issue. I've been fortunate in that my "mechanical issues" are really rare. I'll post how this all ends up.
BTW, the 13 month comment was from the first request until yesterday.
WB

thewishman

The Artisan has metal male threads and delrin female threads. Good luck with the new pen. Sometimes, dealing well with a problem can strengthen a relationship. I hope it works out well for you.:)

ladycop322

Let him choose between a new pen or 50% back. You still put a lot of time into it and I feel he is still responsible partly.

Top Bottom