What would you do

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I made this bullet pen for a charity auction. I put the charity logo on it with a decal. I have the pen temporarilty assembled (still needs epoxy).

I'm not entirely happy, and here is why.

I placed the logo so it is readable by a right hander while writing. This is the orientation I have always seen for writing on a pen. However, using the rifle clip, it makes with the logo or the rifle seem up-side down.

I'm also not too thrilled with how far out the rifle clip protrudes from the pen. I think this clip would work better as a recessed clip.

The auction is in less than 2 weeks, so I dont think I want to start over and make this a recessed clip, so here are the options as I see it.

1) Leave it as pictured

2) Position the clip 180 from the logo

3) Re-do the decal in "Lefty" orientation

4) Skip the rifle clip and use the Cigar clip from the kit.

What would you do?

BTW, its a 300 win mag cartidge with antler and buffalo horn finial.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 340
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Leave it alone. Looks good. You are overthinking it. For a good cause too. Those clips are way better that the original ones that hung from the barrel and were flimsy.

Andrew Arndts

Let it be... only you and other pen turners will know. and so far the majority of other pen turners say let it be.

snyiper

Leave it be. It is a awesome pen and it is for charity. Experiment on your next one sometimes our pens are not what we percieved but only to us!!!!

Buzzzz4

I will echo the sentiment which I thought before reading responses. It's a great looking pen. No one except you will know that the clip is a left handed clip. We are our own worst critics.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Personally, I'd leave it alone too.
However.....some people have the knack of doing decals without even having to think about it. If you are one of them, then maybe reconsider moving the decal. Hey ....maybe put one on both sides:wink:

PenMan1

Same here...Leave it!

You have a perfectly acceptable , FINISHED pen. Usually, when I try to get it JUST PERFECT...it ends up in the humility bucket. Don't tempt the Pen Gods!

Rangertrek

Yep, leave it as is, great looking pen.
I have also thought about the left hander - right hander situation. If I am making a custom pen, then I inquire so any engraving will have the best look.

Google says only 8% of people in US are "lefties".

OutofTurnSam

As a detailed oriented person, the clip and the logo would drive me nuts (if I had purchased this for myself). I'd turn the clip so that it wasn't on the same side as the logo or even use a nice simple clip. You mentioned that the one that came with the kit is cheap and flimsy, so that probably isn't an option.

Anyways, that's just the PoV from a consumer. So take it for what it's worth. Otherwise, nice job and great looking pen!

Top Bottom