What would it take...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake Byrd

Kernersville(Near Winston Salem), North Carolina,
...to make our own pen kits? This is just an idea, I doubt I can actually do it. But what would it take? Do the major suppliers such as CSUSA make their kits? Wouldn't it just be molding the metal parts and putting the plating on? I would imagine the companies just buy the refill and twist mechanism.

Thanks in advance,
Jake Byrd:D

Fred in NC

There are only 3 suppliers in the US: PSI, Berea, and CSU. The kits are made in China or Taiwan. All the others buy from one or more of these.

Tips, bands, and finials can be made with a lathe, or cast. The clips are usually punched and molded with a hydraulic press. Then they are plated. Then the transmission is needed. Some kits need even more operations.

Kind of a large investement in my opinion.

opfoto

Fred,
Interesting, prices on the same kits vary as much as the turnings to dress them up. As I said interesting.

Fred in NC

Just my opinion, OK ?

I don't see any way we can make a slimline kit and sell for $1.50.

Higher end kits, and CUSTOM PARTS, like special centerbands and finials, YES ! There is always a market for specialized items. Sometimes the aftermarket is more profitable. Some people spend more in customizing than the original cost of the item.

TheHeretic

I had discussed with Berea some time ago about the costs with coming up wiht a new pen kit. I would like to see one similiar to the Sharpie. Assuming I could get Sanford to liscence it, Berea indicated that it would probably take about 25K to bring a pen to market. I am guessing more for different platings etc.

Dean
columbus OH

woodscavenger

Here's my dream. A centerband with some style...beads, engraving, etc ...that fits the cheap slimline kits but has a larger O.D. so you can make a larger pen. And it should cost less than a quarter.

Gary

It's my understanding that Berea owns a state-of-the-art factory in Taiwan. That's what you would be competing with.

Darley

Originally posted by TheHeretic
<br />
Berea indicated that it would probably take about 25K to bring a pen to market. I am guessing more for different platings etc.

Dean
columbus OH

And the rest, if you have to lisence and trade mark it, make yourself confortable and have a thick walet, because to design something cost a lots of time and money, then your creation you want to keep it to get return from it, in the States you have 3 big suppliers who will look at your kit to grab it in a blink of the eye.
You will have to find who can manufactured the kit for you ( very expensive for the start ), a disgner, a good solicitor and a good advertiser. That is of course you want to keep the pen kit for yourself and reseller to the big company ( tha t where money is ) then it will take 4 to 5 years to get just your money back, the rest you will LOL ( profit )

investigate if you 're serious

Serge

PS you will not find a friend in business

Fred in NC

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Here's my dream. A centerband with some style...beads, engraving, etc ...that fits the cheap slimline kits but has a larger O.D. so you can make a larger pen. And it should <b>cost less than a quarter.</b>

Wake up !!!!!

JimGo

Wood Scavenger, I'd settle for a plain band that was thicker! I may try the idea you posted here a few days ago of a custom centerband.

btboone

The only way that the factories in Taiwan or China can even afford to do that is to make tens or hundreds of thousands of parts once the tooling is paid for. It takes a lot of 10 cent parts to pay for $25,000 worth of tooling.

You should be able to make custom width centerbands with your current tooling and getting creative.

jwoodwright

OK, has anyone approached Berea with the Desire for a Larger CB for the Slimline[?]

What we need is hundreds of positive posts for it, Ask Jeff to forward Posts to Berea...

They see a Need, they make us Happy, they make Money... [8D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
As I see it, we all would like a slimline price, custom-fancy centerbands, parker style refill, highly customizable and parts available starting at quantity one. I think that's why there are about 100 kits that I've identified worldwide. Problem is, we all want em just a little different.

Travlr7

Hey Jake, since you're probably watching this thread, I'll ask you here. Do you or do you NOT want the blanks you won in the birthday Bash drawing????????????????????????????????????

If you don't answer, I must believe you don't. I have tried to get your address to no avail. No hard feelings here, just not willing to keep asking you if you want them.

Bruce

Gregory Huey

After you you put togeather the money to design and build your own pen kit how much would the drug rehab and the divorce cost.? Oh well guess I'll just keep on using the kits for awhile longer.

Fred in NC

NOTE: This post is about new KITS, and METAL parts.

The larger centerband for the slimline is a totally different issue.

First of all, it is only one small part of a kit, and a simple one to make at that. I think a very small investment would give the supplier a new kit.

Second, there are large centerbands already. One comes with the PSI comfort pen, which is just a slimline with the larger centerband, AND a piece of rubber that most of us don't use. A band like this could be sold separately, or the kit offered without the rubber part at a lower price, or as an option to the slimline.

Third, since it can be made in a lathe, maybe someone with the proper equipment can make some nice centerbands and sell them. These would probably be high end centerbands with all the bells and whistles, and cost more than the imported parts.

PLEASE, don't tell me that I can make my own centerbands, or omit them. I already KNOW that, and have been doing it for a couple years. We are talking about METAL, and possibly plated. OK?

G

There are custom bands available in the Craft Supplies catalog starting at $1.10 .
That's not the $.25 your looking for but that wasn't realistic to begin with.
Even so you have a "cross style" pen with a total cost of $2.60.
For another $.70 you can get the PK Mont Par with a Parker refill that will accept gel refills.
What to are trying to do is make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
How much experimenting have you done?
I you take a look at the Euro style,all it is is a glorified slim line with a band and a cap.
You can get studs and finial stems and make your own finials.
Yep we are all looking for something different. but how different can it be if we rely on someone else to make the components?
Don't you think the manufacturer hasn't already figured out all the possible combination that can be made with their kits?
Just my take.

Fred in NC

For a SLIMLINE with a wide center band, and Ti Gold, PSI offers the PKCFPENTN at $5 quantity one.

Eagle, that is a good idea !!! SOWSEARMASCUS !!!

G

<br />"What to are trying to do is make a silk purse out of a sows ear." Nice touch. Again, I cn dream can't I?
I've been tring to do that since I finished my first pen[xx(]

Travlr7

Well Jake, I haven't gotten any from you. so let's try again. I am putting "_"'s in the address here to pervent spam. When you type my address , queeze the letters together, removing the "_"'s.

M_H_Woodturning@Hotmail.com

Thanks, Bruce

PS If this doesn't work, I'll send you my mailing address and you can "Snailmail" me.

its_virgil

Take a look at http://www.david.broadwell.com
David makes his own parts...he only buys the nibs and inking mechanisms...and the raw materials of course. Nice stuff, huh.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Jake Byrd
<br />...to make our own pen kits? This is just an idea, I doubt I can actually do it. But what would it take? Do the major suppliers such as CSUSA make their kits? Wouldn't it just be molding the metal parts and putting the plating on? I would imagine the companies just buy the refill and twist mechanism.

Thanks in advance,
Jake Byrd[:D]

its_virgil

The streamlined slimline has a larger CB or make you own. Or, use none at all. I rarely use a CB on a slimline kit.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />OK, has anyone approached Berea with the Desire for a Larger CB for the Slimline[?]

What we need is hundreds of positive posts for it, Ask Jeff to forward Posts to Berea...

woodscavenger

Now why did you have to put that link there? I thought I was doing good to make a few fine pens and then you had to go and post that sight!![:(!] Those are AMAZING!! I would love to see him in action! I think I willtake my little pens and go home now until I can muster the courage to come out of hiding. We have a local art building that offers classes in jewelery making/silver smithing. After seeing his stuff it makes me want to go sign up and get a peek at some basic metal working skills.

its_virgil

We live in the same town and attend the same church. His work is incredible.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Now why did you have to put that link there? I thought I was doing good to make a few fine pens and then you had to go and post that sight!![:(!] Those are AMAZING!! I would love to see him in action! I think I willtake my little pens and go home now until I can muster the courage to come out of hiding. We have a local art building that offers classes in jewelery making/silver smithing. After seeing his stuff it makes me want to go sign up and get a peek at some basic metal working skills.
[:)][:)]

its_virgil

Sorry Fred! I didn't mean to tell you that.
Don
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />The streamlined slimline has a larger CB or make you own. Or, use none at all. I rarely use a CB on a slimline kit.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />OK, has anyone approached Berea with the Desire for a Larger CB for the Slimline[?]

GregD

Ya know, I was thinking the other day (This is usually where I get in trouble) Why buy pen kits from PSI, Berea, Woodcraft, CSUSA etc.? Why not find a supplier and buy wholesale in bulk?
If what Fred says is true, These companies owning the factories, then that answers that.

Rifleman1776

Something like that could be designed and manufactured, probably in Hong Cong. There are companies that can turn out zillions of items on request. I have an English friend that has products made in Hong Cong that way. He reports that the Hong Cong companies are trustworthy businessmen. Other Asian manufacturing centers may make your product but don't expect the idea to be protected. Internet searches will find you companies that will do that for you.

<br />Here's my dream. A centerband with some style...beads, engraving, etc ...that fits the cheap slimline kits but has a larger O.D. so you can make a larger pen. And it should cost less than a quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom