what would it look like

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

if you drilled a few holes in a blank -- perpendicular to the tube hole -- and filled the holes with colored epoxy (paint or glitter or crushed stone), then drilled the tube hole? If everything was drilled square and straight, would it leave circles on the blank or weird looking ovals?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MattDaddy

It would look like this...
DSC_0411.jpg

workinforwood

if they are small they will be almost circles and if they are big they will be ovals. This is why when I make skulls, I cut the skulls so they look emaciated, but when turned they fill out. My sun blank is designed the same way, the sun is cut as an oval and becomes a perfect circle when turned.

workinforwood

Keep in mind, a pen like what Hans is showing is a brute to spin..very prone to blow out. I think it's a heck of an ugly pen. I made one a few years ago and couldn't stand how mine looked either. Just cause you can, doesn't always mean you should.

jkeithrussell

Keep in mind, a pen like what Hans is showing is a brute to spin..very prone to blow out. I think it's a heck of an ugly pen. I made one a few years ago and couldn't stand how mine looked either. Just cause you can, doesn't always mean you should.

Ha! I was thinking more along the lines of 2 relatively small circles on each end of the pen in a contrasting color to the blank. Different strokes, I suppose. I thought I might have had an original idea, but it looks like you guys are (as usual) way ahead.

hewunch

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You either love it or hate it there is NO middle ground. It did however win quite a few ugly pen contests this year.

Top Bottom