What wood to use for deer grunt calls?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

What species of wood do any of you use and like in making game call blanks. I promised my neighbor's son that I was going to make him a deer grunt call for this fall's hunt. In return after a couple of days, he brought over a 2# package of venison burger and a nice shoulder roast. I guess what goes around comes around. Anyway, I am cutting up some 1 1\2" X 1 1\2" game call blanks and was wondering about favorite choices of wood to use. I have already cut up some 1 1'2 " Black Walnut, Semi-Spalted Maple and Beech. I have ready for the table saw Red Oak, Red Cedar and Honey Locust for now. I have other woods I have that I can cut up but would want some opinions if any of them would be better suited than others. They are going to be subjected to harsh weather in the late Fall and Winter. Any and all opinions would be welcome.
Tim. :confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

Thanks for all your replies. I will make some from a variety of woods but I wanted to know which kind of wood I should concentrate on. This site and others seem to say walnut as the most frequent recommendations. Thanks to all.
Tim.

Top Bottom