what wood is best

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

xxShadowxx

redwood is pretty as hell, esp when its 2000+ yr old :biggrin:
made 5 pens from it now, 5th had the best looks yet imo

Chris - I'm thinking the answer to your Q is that there isn't one wood that would be the best for all situations. And if you ask ten people, you'l most likely get ten real different answers.

Different pens might look better or worse with a light (or dark) wood. Also a wood that is nice with a "gold" finish might look horrible with a "chrome" finished pen (or vice versa).

That said, there are several that I really like, either from their ease to turn and finish to their appearance when done. For a formal pen, I really love Zircote. Or maybe Macassar ebony or African blackwood (all those are darker woods). I've found ebony (Gaboon or Macassar) to be difficult to finish.

For something a bit less formal, but with a great look I like cocobolo or Padauk or even olivewood. Padauk has a rep of being allery forming.

And for something a bit more less formal than that, I like Bocote - or maybe Zebrawood or Tamboti. There are many others, but most (all?) of those are readily available. And they don't even begin to touch on burls, etc.

What are you looking for?

Last edited:

JimB

I don't really have an answer for you. Some woods give you a different challenge then others. Sometimes I may not be in the mood to deal with a particular wood but that doesn't put it on a list. Personally I like trying different woods to see what I get.

KenV

Best for what???

Best for learning how to deal with difficulty -- ebony and snake wood

Best for ease of turning and appearance with fewest problems -- stabalized woods

Best for learning -- free wood, or easy woods to turn such as maples.

toddlajoie

The best wood it what you have, or what you can get. I've made great pens from cool wood that I had never heard of before, given to me by generous members and purchased from many of our great vendors. I've made equally great pens from wood that got wet over and over again for 5 years in my firewood pile behind our pool. If you're just learning, get a bunch of cheap wood that you don't care about if it blows up. Dig it out of dumpsters if you have to, but a trip to a local lumberyard, home improvement store will likely turn up a good variety of inexpensive test materials (the recent PINE event shows that such a simple common wood can present many people with a challenge in turning...) Anyone who makes things out of wood in your area will likely have a scrap pile that will give you some experience. Be sure to try a bunch of different varieties, any you can get your hands on, as they all turn differently.

Wood to stay away from: my personal stash...:wink:

PedroDelgado

I worked with and have loved these: Honduras Rosewood Burl, Afzelia Africana Burl, Amboyna Burl, Red Flame Box Elder (Maple family), Claro Walnut Burl, Redwood, Buckeye Burl,..... Cherry Burl.

If you want some Cherry Burl blanks, let me know how many blanks you want; I'll send you a picture of what I can offer you and we can work a good deal. I bought a couple of these burls in Alabama and the blanks are very nice. I can throw in a few other blanks, like Black Walnut and Buckeye Burl.

Cheers

Pedro

Down where you are at look for Wild Cherry, Oak, Hickory, Pecan, Walnut, & etc. These are local woods that you should find easily. Split the wood and cut it into 3/4 inch squares about 5 inches long. Buy the PSI 30 pen special and go too it. When you finish the thirty pens then branch out into the other kits, woods, acrylic, stone and bone or deer antler. Then I will see you at the xmas craft show Columbia SC November 4,5 & 6. Richard Van Hulle, Aiken Pen & Pencil

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
What ever will spin when the lathe turns

If you put it in your lathe and it spins when the lathe does, that is the best wood.

God gave us a huge variety and intended for us to use them alll.

Top Bottom