What Wood is this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linster

I picked up a piece of scrap wood somewhere and I don't know what wood it is. It's a light tan color and feels dence. I could not indent it with my fingernail so I'm thinking it is probably a hardwood. Anyone have any ideas?[?]

20053124437_what%20wood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Linster

I thought Ash was a bit lighter in color. The piece of scrap wood I cut these from was a finished pieces about 3" wide, 3/4" thick and about a foot or so long. Probably used in building materials. Could it be teak or is that much darker? The color you see on screen (at least on mine) is pretty much the color of the wood.

Linster

Is there a link to somewhere that will show photo's of diffent types of wood that I can look and compare to? I'm planning on turning this today and it would be nice to know what kind of wood so I can hopefully sell it/them.

Queso

I should have said black ash. I've got quite a bit of that in my garage, cut from a friends farm up in the thumb of michigan. From such a small piece, though, it could be almost anything. Maybe it's central american grapewood?

Linster

I dropped it in a bowl of water and it floats so I guess it's not teak, although I would expect teak to float since they use it in boat building.

I think it would be a common wood natural to the New England area or eastern USA. The pen I turned with it came out really nice. Was very easy to turn.

William, I'll check out that link. Thank you.

Linster

pen-turners

Originally posted by Linster
<br />I dropped it in a bowl of water and it floats so I guess it's not teak, although I would expect teak to float since they use it in boat building.

Linster,
It looks like Teak to me. I can't resist----- just because it sinks or floats does not matter. They make boats out of steel all the time!![:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom