What wood is this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I made this pen from a scrap wood I found, that wasn't labeled. Can anyone help me identifying it?
BTW this is a Click Wall Street II. Don't ask me why, but I was kinda reluctant to make click pens. After feeling the smoothness of this mechanism, I changed my mind.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Pens 001.jpg
    Pens 001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 223
  • Pens 002.jpg
    Pens 002.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 205
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

From my understanding " spalted" refers to the fungus or mold that grows in the wood, causing the black and discolored parts in the wood. It's common in maple and fruit woods. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will add to this.

plantman

Is "spalted" a process or a wood characteristic? Can you explain to me please?

I was amazed that, when I looked up spalting in my wood and hordaculture books, and the dictionary, that there was no listing for spalting, spaulted, or spalted!!!

Spalting is any form of wood coloration caused by fungi. Primarly found in dead trees, but can also occure under stressed tree conditions on living trees. Spalting can be divided into 3 main groups in hardwoods. Pigmentatin, White rot, and zone lines. Softwoods are susceptable to brown rot which degrades the wood quickly. The conditions required for spalting to occure are the same conditions required for fungal growth. Fixed nitrigen levels, micronutriants, water, warn temputure, and the proper amount of oxygen mix.

The most common type, called blue spalting, is ceratocystis spp. It is a member of the ascomycetes.
Next is White rot, found all over the world, trametes versicolor basidiomyctes.
Rarest is one of the few fungi that bleach wood and will erect zone lines. xylaria polymorpha (per.ex mer grev.) also an ascomycetes.

If you would like to know more about spalting, look up spalting on Wikipedia.com, there is a world of information on there I never knew existed...Jim S

Last edited:

Tom T

It is a very nice pen. Great job. I have never done a click pen for the same reason you have not. Now it may be time, I have a few in stock.

plantman

there is a world of information on there I never knew existed...Jim S

Jim, you're post is full of words I never knew before, and I'm pretty sure I still don't!!!:biggrin:

Todd; It comes from the 4 years of taking hordaculture classes and learning all those Latin names I thoght I would never get a chance to use. No one ever knows what I am talking about when I use the Latin names, even I don't !! Only one I remember is Aser or Maple. Makes me feel like all that time wasn't comlpetely wasted. :tongue: Jim S

Last edited:
A couple of possibilities for the wood type have been mentioned but neither may be correct . Did you find the wood locally or was it from a mix you purchased ?
Thank you, Sir. The wood was bought or maybe given as a freebie in a large purchase. Not locally definitely.
It was laying down in my leftover box, and I saw it would fit a single barrel pen like the WSII so I used it, much to my delight as it came out a very beautiful turning. Can't remember who I got it from. Mostly I'd like to know its name because I feel kinda embarrassed when a potential customer asks what type of wood it is, and I have to shrug and say I don't know. :redface:

Top Bottom