What went wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhallnc

I tried to make a pen tonight after a failed attempt last night. Everything was going surprisingly well. I went to assemble the pen and when I put it together, the twist mechanism would not work. It was loose and would just shake in and out.
I had the bright idea to put glue on the end of it and put it back together. I feel the twist part working but the point does not come out.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks
Darryl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Sounds like you just got a bad transmission. You should always test it before you sink it in. I've removed transmissions by holding the half of the pen in a vise between wood blocks and working it out slowly with beefy pliers. It runs an insanely high risk of cracking a good bit of the finish, but you can repair that and have a complete pen again.

hdtran

I tried to make a pen tonight after a failed attempt last night. Everything was going surprisingly well. I went to assemble the pen and when I put it together, the twist mechanism would not work. It was loose and would just shake in and out.
I had the bright idea to put glue on the end of it and put it back together. I feel the twist part working but the point does not come out.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks
Darryl

I assume you are using a Cross-refill type twist pen, where you screw the refill into the twist mechanism. I also assume you already pressed the tip in.

Look at the tip end, into the tip hole. Twist the mechanism. Can you see the tip of the pen refill? Does it move in and out? If so, you just haven't pressed the mechanism in far enough.

You may want to have the transmission in the retracted position prior to pressing further (or in general, prior to pressing at all), to avoid buckling the walls of the transmission. Also, I like laying out my parts prior to assembly, to get an idea of how far to press in the transmission. I then use a sharpie to put a mark on the transmission (this far, and no further!).

Pictures and more details are always helpful.

Regards,

hdt

dhallnc

I was no help whatsoever here..... *sob*

You helped when you mentioned the transmission. I figured it would turn out to be some dumb @#$ thing I over looked. It's quite normal:confused:

Thank you too hdt. It's great to be able to get help so quick when things go south.

Last edited:
Top Bottom