What to use for wire burning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I tried doing some wire burning this weekend. I tried picture hanging wire and some braided SS fishing wire. The fishing wire worked, but was way too thin. The picture hanging wire didn't work at all. Short of buying the wire burner things, what do people use for this and how fast should the lathe be turning?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rduncan

I've used the inner wire from a bicycle brake cable with success.

What was wrong with the picture hanging wire?? I assume it was some twisted multiple wire cable.

Rick

wayneis

Turn your lathe up to as fast as she goes, most any wire should work as long as you just hold it in one place. What you are trying to do is make friction which will eventually burn the wood. I have different size wire with wood handles for this that I made up.

Wayne

gerryr

Thanks for the tips. I was only running my lathe at 1800rpm so I'll try it again at the fastest speed. I think I might have a bicycle brake brake cable in my bike repair box.

Rifleman1776

Any wire will do. I use plain picture hanging black wire (non-woven). Cotton string works too but burns through and is a bit of a hassle. For pens, real thin wires can (will [:0] ) cut through the wood to the tube.

Hi. I've used guitar strings and they work really great. Especially because of the different thicknesses. Don't ask me what the names of the strings are. My son plays the guitar and gives me the old strings. I figure I've got enough to do a couple hundred pens!

Regards

Barry

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The "twist ties" for garbage bags are about the right size for most pens. Strip off the paper (easier to do) or plastic (harder to do) before burning the wood.

nilsatcraft

I also use guitar strings. You can buy a cheap set for about $5 and there are six thicknesses. As Barry does, you can just find someone who plays and ask for their old strings, too. I still prefer the KC Wireburners, though, because they're easy to hold on to and you can really apply some quick pressure without turning your fingers purple [;)].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom