what to use to color casting resin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

curlymaplefan

I want to do a few inlay and use colored casting resin to fill the inlay!!!! I got casting resin from Michaels but I need to know how to color it...they had not a clue

thanks
Jim

Narwhale

Jim,
Do some reading here and searches.
Lots of different materail is used according to what ones has and what one is trying to do. Then go do some test on what you are trying to do.
That said, some people make the engravings then fill the lines with a contrasting colored materail, then dribble CA glue on the blank. Then finish turning and polish. Some have used coffee grounds, some color chalk, powdered graphite, etc. Whatever one has, try it.
Rich S.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
And post casting questions in the casting section.

PearlEX powders make awesome colors. They are available at Michaels.

GK

RosezPenZ

Hi,
I usually just sit and read, but I have an idea for you.
I use Inlace it comes in many colors or by clear and the colors seperate and mix your own. Bad thing is you have to buy a lot if you are just doing some small items but I love the stuff. I get mine from Turtle feathers (ran by the guy that came up with the stuff), but I see several companies now sell it (Grizzley and Craft USA that I've seen). I made some baseball bat pens and used a grinder to spell out the teams name, mixed some inlace up and drizzled it in the spots. Two things to be very carefull about, 1. leave your blank larger than your finished size so you can turn it down. 2. If you are using a light colored wood, spray some clear lacquer on the blank before grinding out your design. The purpose is that the inlace will dye the wood if not done. The lacquer easily sands off. Also if you do buy it, get some thickener. You want to mix it thick so it wont runout. Wait at least 24 hrs before you trim it down to size. Inlace is basically autobody filler with different colors. As I recall there was an article about how to do this in the woodturners magazine a few months ago. Check fox chapel publishing and see if they still have a back issue. It was well written.
Its not quite the anwser you were looking for, but if you still need colors you may contact Turtle Feathers anyway and ask that guy if his dyes wil work.

Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom