What type of pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

airrat

Ok all if you remember an earlier post on some Irish wood I had, I finally won a bid for some Irish Hawthorne.(Mark thanks for the link) Won a differnt auction with a second chance bid due to some problem with winner?

200561191815_8a_1_b.jpg

Now to my next problem. I am making an anniversary gift for the inlaws. They are very difficult to do anything for. I would really like to try to please them with a nice set of pens. Hopefully increasing some "points" with them.:D

What type of pens would you all reccommend?

I have turned slimlines, cigar, flattop, americana, patriot/atlas. Have not turned any gentlemens, barons or some of the higher end ones yet but will.

Also has anyone turned Hawthorne? What can I expect? (have not received the blanks yet)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Can't say for sure but it looks like you can expect some very nice looking pens.
icon_thumbs.gif

If it were me I wouldn't practice on the 7th from the left, but you nenver know.
nono.gif

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
This is just my opinion based on the type of pens SWHTM and I like and what sells well for me...
You might want to look into a Berea Round Top Euro for MIL and a Berea Perfect Fit Convertible for FIL.. both are great pens.. or do a matching set of Euros or PFs.
#6 and 7 from the left or #4 and 5 from the right would make a beautiful matching set if the pics are accurate..
The other alternative is a nice set of Baron or Jr Gent Rollerballs in a classy plating..

JimGo

I did an Americana Classic roller ball for my mom for mother's day (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-4211 ). She's 5'1 1/2" tall (gotta stress that extra 1/2") and has small hands, but so far she loves that pen (of course, why wouldn't she? I made it!). It is a little longer, but much thinner, than the Baron/Jr. Gent., but I that pairing up one of those with a Baron/Jr. Gent/Gent would make a nice his/hers set.

I agree with Tom's choice from among your blanks, and Eagle's comments regarding not starting with those 'till you know how the wood turns!

Good luck, and we can't wait to see the results!

Rifleman1776

My first reaction was "European". Be sure to get the upgrade gold or better for long lasting results. Nice pens and with wood like that super gifts. Be sure you make the tip end narrow enough for small hands. Too fat isn't popular with the ladies. However, from what you said about the relatives, wouldn't ordinary splinty fir on a slimline be more appropriate? [:0][:p][:)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Rifle man I am shocked.
Get a kit and just press fit nib and the rest of the parts into the tubes.
no need for wood at all.

emsmith

I think no matter which style you choose you will end up with some awesome pens.

From my own, admittedly limited, experience B company Europeans have been my most well received gifts. Gave one lawyer friend who is a serious writer a matched euro and a baron, he uses the euro over the baron daily. Have also given others the choice between a baron and a euro or cigar, have not had one person select a baron.[:(] The comments that I receive generally fall into the category - "gosh it (the baron) is a beautiful pen, but this other one feels nicer to write with." These comments are leading me to try and find out more about pen weight, length, balance points, barrel shape and writing dynamics/ergonomics. BTW, pictures of most of these barons - (not that they are anything great, but rather to show examples of shapes I have not been successful with) are in my album, I've departed a little from the straight upper and lower barrels so that may have something to do with the lack of success.

Personally, I really like the barons and have both a fountain pen and roller ball that I use daily.

But I also have another 5-6 that I can't seem to give away.

One more opinion, if you decide on a gold european I think the TG presents as much richer/deeper looking gold.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Eric, please do not take this in an offensive manner, but the only Baron in your album I think I would be comfortable writing with is the one listed as your first Baron... I think that the exagerated swells in the others would screw up the balance and make the pens uncomfortable...
Manufacturers design pen styles for balance and hand fit.. making exagerated alterations to the original design (other than maybe a closed back style) alters that balance and hand feel, sometimes to the point that the pen is just not nice to write with...
Personally, I tend to stay with the more conservative styling of the kits and at best add just the smallest amount of swell on a Baron/Jr Gent.

emsmith

No offense taken I'm here to grow as a pen maker and am always willing to listen to input, especially from someone as accomplished as yourself. You have provided me with some excellent advice in the past and I hope to be able to continue to learn from you and the other artists here.

What I was trying to communicate was that for me those shapes have not been very successful, and you may have touched on at least one of the reasons why. I think the baron is a great kit and judging from the postings here is very popular.

Before I got into this addiction, er hobby, last Christmas a fine writing instrument for me was a slim Monte Blanc ball point or a Cross pen. Boy, how things have changed for the better! [:D]

As far as the shapes I like to experiment and try different things. For me the straight baron just wasn't catching my eye/wowing me sitting on my desk and I wanted to try something different. I really like the shapes of some of the desk pens that Penworks has posted, which I thought were more inline with traditional desk pens so I decided to add some curvature.

Hopefully I conveyed that I am new to pen turning and my experiences are very limited. I only wanted to provide some examples of shapes that haven't worked for me from a usability standpoint.

And hopefully, this doesn't come across as too defense.[:)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Eric,

I think you and Griz just demonstrated what this site is supposed to be about. Tom gave his advice on perhaps why your Barons were not selling in a straight-forward manner. You accepted his critique, explained the reasoning behind your artistic interpretation of the Baron kit, and gracefully thanked him. I learned by going to your album and viewing the pens as best I could through your eyes and Tom's. This is much better than some of the, shall we say, rather aggressive threads of conversation that have been displayed recently.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Eric--Just to show how much personal taste varies, I think your shapes are pretty darned good. They show a lot of promise. If you want to see a bunch of shapely Barons to add to your inspiration, check out Ed Davidson's (YoYoSpin's) album, starting on about page 5 or so.

Tom--you might want to consider a Gentleman's and a Jr. Gentleman's pen. They are extremely similar (as you might expect) which should be a plus for an anniversary gift.

wayneis

In my opinion the classyest kits on the market are the Jr. Statesman and/or the Statesman and they are very easy to make. If you wanted a nice set for Husband and Wife I would do one of each. The Statesman for him and the Jr. for her and with wood like you have above it would be a beautiful set. The only way to get a better looking pen would be to mix the Jr. Statesman rollerball with the nib of the Baron R.B.

Wayne

rtparso

My compliments on Griz and your exchange. A sharing of IDEAS. I tend to agree with Griz on style but soma have said my pens were to straight. To each his own. To tell the truth I am concentrating on turning technique right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom