What type of pen to make from this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paprgypc

I have some blanks of angle cut sapele and somewhat curly walnut. I am new to pen making. Thinking about the equipment I would need to start. I am also trying to figure out what types of pens are best to show off the wood that you are using.

So my question is what are your thoughts for the two images that I have attached. I am probably leaning toward a cigar type for the sapele and maybe a sierra for the curly walnut.

What are your thoughts?

thumbnail on left is sapele and walnut on right

Thanks to all.

Attachments

• IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you haven't turned much, make sure you put thin CA on the end of the sapele, after you have faced the blank. May want to do this a few times (at 30 min or better intervals). When you turn it, it will want to break off at the nib end. The CA will help. Adding CA as you turn will help, but you are right next to the bushing, so be careful, unless you like a metal end on your pen, before you install the components!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

sbell111

I have some blanks of angle cut sapele and somewhat curly walnut. I am new to pen making. Thinking about the equipment I would need to start. I am also trying to figure out what types of pens are best to show off the wood that you are using.

So my question is what are your thoughts for the two images that I have attached. I am probably leaning toward a cigar type for the sapele and maybe a sierra for the curly walnut.

What are your thoughts?

thumbnail on left is sapele and walnut on right

Thanks to all.
I think that the answers you receive will simply be the pens that each of us like best. Instead of listening to a bunch of goofy strangers, just make whatever you think is best (or listen to your wife, if you have one. That's always a safe bet.)

Seer

I have made several pens out of some cross cut sapele in slimline and european version. Came out nice with a lot chatoyance and sold quickly.

Top Bottom