What type of pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beep119

Hello all,
I am planning on starting to make a new style of pen.
But trying to figure what type would be best...
What do you guys/girls find is best...for quality, ease and selling.
Thinking of a rollerball or fountain type. Thinking of Baron, Helix, Canadiana, Churchill types.
Any suggestion you have on experiences with these kinds?
Postable, non postable, fountain is more popular or rollerball for selling?
Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Try the 30 Caliber Bolt Action (patented by PSI) available at several of our suppliers like Bear Tooth Woods, ExoticBlanks, Wood 'N' Whimisies, etc.

It's very easy to make and is a good seller.

beep119

Parker style also, thanks...
But, what kind of pen would be good to add to my portfolio?
Right now I mostly just sell cigar, magnum bolt action, Sierra, twist bullets and of course slimlines.

Last edited:

CREID

Parker style also, thanks...
But, what kind of pen would be good to add to my portfolio?
Right now I mostly just sell cigar, magnum bolt action, Sierra, twist bullets and of course slimlines.

There really is no answer to your question. What is easiest to sell is what the people your selling to WANT to buy. You need to take a look at your demographics and make an informed decision, then do some test marketing. What you might sell if your near Wall Street in New York is going to be vastly different than what you sell in say, Phoenix.

Curt

beep119

Just trying to figure out what one to start with....going with a rollerball/fountain style. So a pen with a cap, just wondering people's thoughts and experiences with different ones.
Baron vs helix, or triton vs baron...which one has problems for a beginner, easier to make, postable vs non postable....baron has black threads, what people think is better.
Just trying to get an idea of which one to start with.

Thank you

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Just trying to figure out what one to start with....going with a rollerball/fountain style. So a pen with a cap, just wondering people's thoughts and experiences with different ones.
Baron vs helix, or triton vs baron...which one has problems for a beginner, easier to make, postable vs non postable....baron has black threads, what people think is better.

Thank you
Caballero is much like a Baron but without black threads.

WriteON

Try the 30 Caliber Bolt Action (patented by PSI) available at several of our suppliers like Bear Tooth Woods, ExoticBlanks, Wood 'N' Whimisies, etc.

It's very easy to make and is a good seller.

Yep...There are a lot of nice pens around....and the Bolt is the coolest.

Mr Vic

I' suggest the Triton if you want to add Fountain/Rollerball to your inventory. It's available as a convertible for the best of both worlds. I believe you can add the fountain nib to the Caballero as well. The Triton has a larger body so maybe it and the Caballero with the smaller body.

jttheclockman

Not sure what you have been making but have you thought about the Sierra line. Many different names for them but mainly 2 types. Center turning and top turning. One blank and sell real well. Very easy to make and can be dressed with many different blanks and still look great.

MTViper

Rollerball v Fountain Pen - I've never sold a fountain pen, but have given a few away. That's just the west Texas market. Those who learned the joy of writing with a fountain pen are in the rapidly departing WWII generation. I make them for me. I recommend you make rollerballs.

I love a Churchill because I've got big hands. If I was making them to sell I'd go with Baron/Sedona - same size - difference is square v round ends. My preference is Sedona. Neither is really postable. If you want postable, I like the Vertex Supreme from PSI with the magnetic posting. PSI has a few more kits that are magnetic posting, also.

I've quit making any pens with Cross style refills. I prefer Parker style but replace the refills with Schmidt ink.

Don't know where you're from, but if I was going to add just one new style, I'd go with Lever Action from Berea. It's new, different, and neat. People love to play with it. And it's a really nice looking pen.

Fish30114

Well I can tell you in Georgia, almost no one buys fountain pens. We always keep a few in a 'feminine' and 'masculine' style blanks, and folks definitely prefer a postable pen. So for those reasons I'd recommend a rollerball pen. I like the oft talked about Jr Gents, and Tritons.

Good luck to you--oh an BTW we sold 10 bolt actions at our last two shows.

Bikerdad

For quality and ease of production, why don't you simply pick 3 or 4 Rollerballs that YOU like or think would make good gifts, buy a kit and make 'em? No big investment, simply a single kit each and necessary bushings, and perhaps a drill bit or two. Even if it turns out you don't like the resulting pen, you can still have it around for people to look at and you'll see if it generates interest in YOUR market.

Joey-Nieves

Thank you
Caballero is much like a Baron but without black threads.
Smitty:
This is a question I was going to ask you, Are the threads in the metal? I do not like that plastic ring it comes of the pen very easily.

I love fountain pens but can't sell one to save myself. And I also see folk in my area shy away from 2-part pens (rollerballs, etc). What sells for me are click pens with Parker-style refills. Now I hate to be sexist and I have exceptions at every show, but there seem to be identifiable differences between pens for men & women, whether the purchase is for a gift or for the purchaser. And my best sellers (for men) are the PSI Vertex and the PSI click cigar (the Big Ben click). Women seem to prefer a slightly slimmer pen and the CSUSA Aero click is the choice.

Cwalker935

PSI's executive and rollester are nice lower end pens. Both are single tubed. They are decent writers if you upgrade the refills. The executive is a Parker style and the rollester is a roller ball.

Joey-Nieves

Hello all,
I am planning on starting to make a new style of pen.
But trying to figure what type would be best...
What do you guys/girls find is best...for quality, ease and selling.
Thinking of a rollerball or fountain type. Thinking of Baron, Helix, Canadiana, Churchill types.
Any suggestion you have on experiences with these kinds?
Postable, non postable, fountain is more popular or rollerball for selling?
Thank you

Beep:
I turn pens for a living, I have been through a lot of kits, What I do is I order a new style every time I place an order. Most look good in the picture, some disappoint when I get them and many need tweaking in order to make them good.

From CSUSA I like the Americana in Rhodium, the 10 k gold is OK but rhodium is always better(unfortunately clients like the gold). The platinum section from Exotic blanks fits perfect but the gold section won't work. The signature series pens are interchangeable with the Americana. This pen is similar to the flat top the difference and what makes it more attractive to the clients is the center band.
CSUSA carry's other pens like the Gentleman, and so forth.

Exotic blanks: Now Ed has the finest collection of pens out there, The biggest advantage is the he will take the time to help you out once you contact him. Ed carries the Berea New series pens in RB, FB and BP. They are very nice pens at an affordable price. I also use the PSI Classic FP and RB Chrome only the others scratch. Berea Flattops are always a good pick they are more expensive than others but quality is very good and there is a lot to choose from.

Smitty's:
He has very nice pens, the caballero is something you may want to look at, elegant and easy to turn.

What really makes a good seller is not the mechanism it's you, Pens need color, form and grace. Use bands, segments, acrylic combinations, worthless woods, Modifications (Wooden Pens: Buy Handmade unique custom rattlesnake wood pens gifts fountain pen exotic wood from Red River Pens) and whatever you can master. My best sellers are slim lines, and I make over 20 different mechanism styles and kitless pens. What I don't make are plain pens other than my $20 entry pen and straws.

Find a way to be different and daring and you will like the results.

Top Bottom