what type of paint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pedro68

hi there , i have a question and hope you can help me out. i have recently turned a mother of pearl type acrylic blank and noticed you can see the tube through the blank at its thinnest points , i have read that you should paint the tube or inside the blank to prevent this, now which type of paints can be used and what does everyone else use and recommend . can i use water based acrylic paints .any help would be great before i ruin another pen .

many thanks

Peter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

I love this stuff

HYCOTE MATT BLACK DOUBLE ACRYLIC SPRAY PAINT 150ML | eBay

goes on really thin without gooping up like alot of spray paints ive used, clings to everything evenly. a short burst down each end of the drilled out blank has been perfect for me

though note this is black! may not be the colour you are looking for, but I would recommend this range. some people use humbrol style model paints too.

Last edited:

Randy Simmons

I too have had this problem, and see this question a lot.

I would recommend Silver Krylon spray paint. Just take it outside, spray in the hole, let it dry for a few minutes (you will also want to paint the tube)

You may also want some black, blues, and greens depending on what other colors you work with. I find that white tends to wash out the color of the acrylic.

Randy

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
For generic colors (black, white, red, blue, etc) I use the $1+ store brand spray cans from Wal Mart or Lowes. If I want a special color, I use Krylon or Rustoleum colors. I spray a light coat on the tube and a quick burst from both ends inside the blank. I always let it dry overnight before I glue the tubes in.
The only brand I've had trouble with is Duplicolor. It has failed to hold to the tube every time I've used it.

Last edited:

MobilMan

You might find automotive primer to work better than paint. Make sure to get the "no-sand". Scuff the tube with 400 paper than a couple thin coats, it also dries quickly. Try it--I think you'll like it.

nava1uni

I use Golden acrylic paints and I paint the tube and the inside of the blank. I use a small brush or foam ear swab that I get at the 99 cent store.

pedro68

thanks for the reply guys ,i have various colours of acrylic paints and will try these first and see what the results are like , i plan to try a few this weekend so fingers crossed . i will also try the car primer in grey and see if this is any different . thanks again .

Peter

Top Bottom