What type of chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

What type of chuck should I get to make seam rippers and rolling pins
A 4 jaw chuck or scroll chuck?
I am not sure what the purpose of each type of chuck is

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Most scroll chucks are actually 4 jaw chucks, but what defines them is that all 4 jaws move at the same time around a common center. They are also often called self centering chucks. Almost all chucks made for woodworking are this type. Machinists use independent 4 jaw chucks to mount irregular work pieces or to turn off center, but these are notoriously difficult to set up and are almost never used for woodworking.

Seam rippers and rolling pins are quite a bit different in size, so you will almost certainly need at least two different sets of jaws for whatever chuck you get. Most chucks list the specifications of what size workpieces can be gripped in each jaw set for a given chuck.

The other big difference in scroll chucks is the method of tightening and loosening the jaws. "key" chucks use a single key similar to a drill chuck key to open and close the jaws, and this can easily be picked up, fitted to the chuck and operated with one hand while holding a workpiece in position with the other. These usually cost a little more. The second type use a pair of rods inserted into sockets in the two halves of the chuck to open and close the jaws. Some people seem to think that these are more difficult to use with one hand. This type of chuck has fewer parts and is simpler to manufacture, so is usually less expensive.

Rule of thumb is to get the biggest chuck your lathe can possibly use. You can do small work with a large chuck, but not necessarily the opposite.

Searching the forums will reveal that everybody has their favorite chuck and is convinced all others are either hopelessly overpriced, or cheaply made junk. The problem is that everybody's favorite is different. PM Me if you want the real truth :-0

corian king

Hello Ryan!!! You don't need a chuck for either of those two items.Just turn them between centers as I and others do.No chuck needed..
JIM

Top Bottom