What Turning Tools/Techniques Do You Use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartstar

I'm new to pen turning and have developed a method that works for me, but I'm always interested in how others approach their work. My turning routine is to use a roughing gouge to bring my blanks to within a very close distance to the bushings. Then I use a mini-spindle gouge (with a fingernail grind) to bring the blank to the bushings and make any final changes to the shape. Then I use a skew chisel to remove any remaining marks left by the spindle gouge. This routine seems to quickly bring my work to a ready to sand state. The final skew pass reduces the amount of sanding I need to do.

One final note - I do sharpen my gouges often, especially the rouging gouge that does the lions share of the work. I usually need to resharpen after each pen, and depending upon the type of wood, several times during a single pen. I purchased the wolverine jig awhile back, and I find it works great for making the trips to the grinder very fast.

So, how do you turn your pens?

Thanks for any replies.

Bart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

This is going to be one of those 'each to his own' subjects. My choice often depends on the wood. For most, I'll knock off corners and get to round with a 1/2" spindle gouge, then the majority of the rest of the turning is with a 1" skew, final shaping is often with a 3/8" skew. But sometimes the wood will not like the skew and most turning with be done with the 1/2" gouge.

ilikewood

Wow Bart...good way to start an arguement[:D]

Most people here just turn with what they are comfortable with. I personally use a round nose scraper for most of my work and then detail with a skew or a couple other "special" ground tools I made myself.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I use a skew for the whole pen... or I should say a set of skews in different sizes and grinds... all are honed with a diamond stone prior to use so they are "scary sharp"... if I do my part, I can usually start sanding with 320 or 400 grit paper.
If I had not watched Alan Lacer's video "Skew Chisel: The Darkside & The Sweet Side " (http://www.alanlacer.com/Videos.html) about 6 times and practiced on scrap wood a lot, I would still be going nuts [:p] The way he grinds his skew and the planing cut he teaches have made my life a whole lot easier..

ilikewood

I was kidding you about starting an arguement....this is just a subject where very few actually do the same thing. That is what makes this group great...you can see what others do and then try a few techniques to see what you might like.

BUT PLEASE do NOT ask what the best finish is!!![:eek:)]

JimGo

OK then Tom...CA/BLO is for wimps. (KIDDING! - NO NEED TO FLAME/RESPOND!!!!)

To get back to the point of Bart's question, I use a skew the whole way, except on my homemade PR pens, in which case I use a scraper for most of the work.

Rudy Vey

Fingernail grind spindle gouge 3/8 to get close to the bushings, then 3/4 or 1/2 inch skew. I normally start sanding with 400 grit after the skew, then all grades MM afterwards. For acrylics, I round them over close to bushing size with my disc sander then skew, wet sanding to 2000 grit and finish up with finest automotive polish or Novus polish.

Thumbs

Bill in Idaho is right! I often use a hammer and chisel! Crosscut Saw, a few 30 Penny Spikes, Draw Knife and a Pinch Bar to lever the finished product out the door! I never said I made pretty pens! And you wondered why I don't post pictures! Sheesh![}:)][;)][}:)]

Kevin Glover

As a new turner, i use a spindle gouge to round off and then a 3/4" skew the rest of the way. I'm still not consistent with the skew and sometimes have to sand more than i want to at the end but it's gettin better....BTW Bob, can i get a demo video from you![:D] Kevin

Thumbs

Come on over, Bill! I have representative Clubs in all the caves around here! My Bat Cave is really special! I use my Bat Club to write on the Bat Walls! Bring a large lite! [:p][}:)] Bring nose plugs, too! Bat Guano makes for rather odiferous ink! But if they've been eating a lot of lightning bugs it glows in the dark. Ideal for cave writers! I haven't been able to figure out how to adapt one of Anthony's fine nibs to my <s>pen</s>clubs yet but I figured if I could get Eagle and some of you others working on the design for future enhancements, we could make a fortune in self guided cave tours.[:D][^][}:)]

Boy! The fumes are staring to get to me! If I could just get that ink to lite, I could find my way outta here![}:)][:p][}:)]

Thumbs

Bart, I hope our various methodologies have helped you out. Any caves near you over there in Jersey?[?][:D]

Kevin, I'm sorry! The things I've been writing on the walls are not for mixed company! <b>Besides I told you!</b> I haven't really got the Glow in the Dark ink perfected yet and it's just too darn dark to take pictures![:p][:p]

<b>A side note:</b> Since I broke the last three cameras(I don't know how?), the wife will not allow me to buy any more! <b>Don't say nuffin!, William!</b>

Sorry again, Kevin! I think our posting times crossed. Possibly into that Twilight Zone near the Cave Entrance. <b> Beware!</b>

Daniel

On softer woods I will actually start and finish with the skew. on other woods I turn it round with a 3/4 or 1/2 inch spindle gouge then use the skew. if the wood is still being stubborn withthe skew I will use a 1/2 inch spindle gouge with a fingernail grind. but so far I havn't found much the skew can't handle. I would prefer to use A roughing gouge to round the blank but I don't have one yet.

Rifleman1776

Daniel said, "I would prefer to use A roughing gouge to round the blank but I don't have one yet." Daniel, we have a master turner in our club (that's not to imply you aren't a master [:I] ) who is an advocate of smaller gouges. His claim is that more gouge, more chance of a catch. His forte is bowls from manzanita burls and other really irregular shaped woods. I bought two 2" roughing gouges from a widow and thought I had achieved nirvana. Well, there they sit. 2" of steel grabbing wood is just too much. (for me) Using a tiny corner is just plain awkward and I resort to the old standby 3/8" spindle gouge. I'll sell or trade one of the gouges. If interested, let me know, I'll send you a picture off-forum and you can tell me what you have to trade. They are very old, good quality hs steels.

Dario

Just a note, catch using even the biggest roughing gouge while making a pen is nothing. The blank (should) just spin between the mandrel locks anyway.

On a bowl..it is a totally different story. I've made a manzanita bowl and it is a beauty but the toughest I've made...almost like turning concrete.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Just a note, catch using even the biggest roughing gouge while making a pen is nothing. The blank (should) just spin between the mandrel locks anyway.

On a bowl..it is a totally different story. I've made a manzanita bowl and it is a beauty but the toughest I've made...almost like turning concrete.

This guy http://www.fromtheheart-wood.com/ makes many and gets big bucks for his. I don't know what you mean by "The blank (should) just spin between the mandrel locks anyway." What are mandrel locks? And shouldn't all blanks spin between the headstock and tailstock?

Dario

What I mean is...on a catch, the mandrel will continue spinning though the pen blank may stop spinning. Almost a safety feature that is not there with bowls or anything mounted with chuck or faceplates.

Not sure if that makes any sense still.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Dario
<br />What I mean is...on a catch, the mandrel will continue spinning though the pen blank may stop spinning. Almost a safety feature that is not there with bowls or anything mounted with chuck or faceplates.

Not sure if that makes any sense still.

O.K., I know what you mean. But often, for me, it just stops with no spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom