What trimmer shaft sizes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi all,
I am looking to expand my penmaking a little to include the Cigar kit from CSUSA. While getting ready to place my order in the group buy, I realized the trimmer shaft size isn't noted in the online instructions for the Cigar, or many of the other kits. I see it takes a 25/64 drill bit, but the trimmer shaft should be somewhat smaller, right?

What does the Cigar use? I have an interchangeable barrel set...

Is there a spreadsheet somewhere for all these sizes?

Thanks,
Gregory of TheMoreILearnTheStupiderIRealizeIAm Forest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tim'sTurnings

Hi Greg,

I have made a few cigar pens that I bought from PSI and WPP and they all use a 10MM pen mill (trimmer). The one from CS USA, I would imagine would be the same?? Others will chime in who may have bought some from CS USA.

Thanks Tim,
That would be great as i have the barrel trimmer kit that has the interchangeable shafts and the 10mm, 7mm, 'O', and 3/8 included in it.

I still wonder, though, why the retailers don't have a spreadsheet on their site that details all these sizes. You'd think it would be a helpful tool... hmmm, maybe I have to make one myself.

Gregory of ILikeThatAnswer Forest

Okay, I just spoke with a tech at CSUSA. He said that the trimmer shafts designations are the same as the drill bits. Although the trimmer shafts must obviously fit inside the tube that fits inside the hole bored by the drill bit, they are designated the same to avoid confusion and unnecessary calculations.

So- a 7mm trimmer shaft is used WITH a 7mm tube and 7mm drill bit, etc...

That would mean that the Cigar pens use a 25/64 trimmer shaft.

Gregory of NowIKnowWhatIWantedToKnowBeforeIKnew Forest

its_virgil

Instead of buying all of the different size shafts, glue a 7mm tube in some scrap wood and turn a shim the size you need. I have shims for all of the different size tubes and only one pen mill with the 7m shaft...much easier and cheaper. I use a sharpie and mark on the shim which kit tube it fits.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• penmill and shims.JPG
    penmill and shims.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 158

Tim'sTurnings

Gregory,
I checked a drill bit coversion chart and the 10.MM drill bit is only 31 thousandths of an inch (.0031) larger than the 25/64 bit and trimmer. I cannot see where there would be enough difference, in my opinion to buy a different trimmer, if in fact there was one available. I checked the WPP website where I bought my last Cigar kit and the instructions say to use either a 10MM or a 25/64 drill bit.
Hope this information helps.
Tim. :highfive:

Thanks guys.

That info is good to have.

Again, I am really surprised this info hasn't been accumulated in a spreadsheet somewhere... Odd.

woody350ep

Actually, I'm pretty sure I downloaded a drill bit chart from this site. Maybe not, but I have the PDF on hand Greg. PM me your email and I will send it to you.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Instead of buying all of the different size shafts, glue a 7mm tube in some scrap wood and turn a shim the size you need. I have shims for all of the different size tubes and only one pen mill with the 7m shaft...much easier and cheaper. I use a sharpie and mark on the shim which kit tube it fits.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don's suggestion works great. As you expand your line of pen kits, it will get expensive if you buy a shaft or shafts for each kit. If you don't want to use a spare tube, drill a 1/4" hole in corian and make the smaller shims of corian.

rherrell

Gregory,
I checked a drill bit coversion chart and the 10.MM drill bit is only 31 thousandths of an inch (.0031) larger than the 25/64 bit and trimmer. I cannot see where there would be enough difference, in my opinion to buy a different trimmer, if in fact there was one available. I checked the WPP website where I bought my last Cigar kit and the instructions say to use either a 10MM or a 25/64 drill bit.
Hope this information helps.
Tim. :highfive:
I respectfully disagree with your opinion, Tim. 31 thou might as well be a mile when it comes to trimming with a pen mill. You need a tight fit between shaft and sleeve and between sleeve and tube to keep the end of your blank square.:wink:

Top Bottom