What tool to use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gt64155

I'm teaching an 11 year old to turn pens. She does real well with a rough gouge. What tool should I give her to finish off the pen? I use a skew, so I know that won't work to well for her.
Years ago when I learned to turn, I had tried a spindle gouge. I didn't really like it, so viewed the Alan Lacer skew chisel video about 20 times and then started learning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I use an HSS scraper with a slight radius which does the same as about a 4 inch radius (almost square) carbide insert. If you have a carbide insert tool, that would be ideal for her - A large (5/8 or 3/4) round carbide insert, or 1/2 inch square or radius insert.

HSS scrapers and carbide inserts do better on harder woods and stabilized woods than on softer woods. But on softer woods, skews do better.

monophoto

When I was in junior high school wood shop back during the last century, they would only let us use scrapers. The theory was that they were safer for learners.

So I tend to agree with Hank - a round nose scraper, or a large diameter round carbide tool would probably be best.

campzeke

+1 on the carbide. I use a 15mm round carbide 99% of the time start to finish for pens. It works on everything from wood to acrylics, Inlace and deer antler. I turn pens at +/- 2400 RPM and light smooth cuts. Works for me....

gt64155

Thanks for the replies. I do have a scraper, somewhere. I'll dig it out and let her have a go. When she completes a pen, I will post some pictures. Right now, she does about 90 per cent of the turning. We covered sanding and I showed her how to do a CA finish. She did really well with both. Just a little help from me. Can't wait to have her try the scraper and do a entire pen by herself.
This is such an awesome place. Again, thanks for all the help. Hopefully next weekend we can post a picture or two.

dogcatcher

Using a skew as a scraper would work, and it would give you a chance to show how to use it properly. Besides most amateurs use the skew more as a scraper than the correct way.

JimB

Why can't she use the roughing gouge? You can turn pens start to finish with one. Some folks say they don't get a smooth enough finish with it but that is because they are holding it wrong. Many people approach with the roughing gouge going straignt into the wood. That is not the way. You should be holding it at an angle (handle to the left or right) so the cutting edge is leading. You can get a VERY smooth cut with a roughing gouge that is held correctly.

A couple weeks ago I taught a 14 year old to turn pens at an after school program. 100% with a roughing gouge because that is what she was comfortable with. After 3 pens she was turning pens without any supervision.

BTW, at the same after school program another instructor was teaching making a weed pot to another 14 year old. Her first tool was a roughing gouge to get the blank round. Then the instructor showed her the skew. NO PROBLEM! It was her first experience turning. They don't know the skew is sometimes hard to learn so they don't think about that the way we do. They just do it. If you are comfortable using the skew then show it to her.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I also will second the spindlemaster and using the roughing gouge. I use both to this day (well, maybe last week). :)

TonyL

If I were to start with anything but carbide, I would never have started penturning. However, that is just me and my impatience, limited attention span, and other flaws. Now I seldom touch carbide.

Charlie_W

I would have her stay with the spindle roughing gouge. What cut is she making with the roughing gouge? A straight in scraping cut....drop the handle and do a peeling cut.....or angling the roughing gouge to the blank for a planing cut?
This is the sequence I use teaching pen turning or spindle turning.
I find a new Turner picks up these concepts quickly and can can be using planing cuts both right and left handed with very good results. Use the roughing gouge from start to finish.
Also use a few learning blanks which are drilled to 1/4" to fit right over the mandrel( No tube).
What they don't realize is that the angled planing cut is exactly the same as using a Skew in planing mode!....then a Skew is no problem.
Have her give it a try.....and report back.

Mr Vic

Put the pen aside and mount up an 8 or 10 inch piece of 1x1 or 2x2. Let her pracice with all the tools and find the one that works best for her. Back to basics. You might be surprised at what she'll acomplish.

Woodchipper

My grandson, 10 years old, took a class at Woodcraft. He used a roughing gouge for the entire pen. We have used a round nose scraper in my shop. IMHO, a skew can be frustrating for a beginner. I'm still learning to use one.

wouldentu2?

Roughing gouge, skew as a scraper, then skew where needed, she should follow that order. A skew on a small diameter is safer and easier to learn on than a large diameter. She's not doing beads and coves.

MiteyF

Maybe I'm just outside of the box, but after roughing I find it's easiest for me to get the proper shape I'm looking for with a very narrow spindle gouge - my favorite is the Sorby 3/8 with a fingernail grind. It's easy to get a near perfect planing cut if you want a straight tube, and easy to ride the bevel and get even arcs for a gentle curve. Lately I've been trying to enhance my skills with a skew, so I've been using it almost exclusively, but if I've got a nice blank I really don't want to **** up, I'll grab my small spindle gouge.

Top Bottom