What are the "thicker" pen kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lobster

I'm new to the higher end kits. I've done a few Gatsbys, Sedonas, and Barons. That is as high end as I've been so far.

I have a buddy who wants me to make him a nice fountain pen after he saw my first ever FP (a figured mesquite Baron). However, he said he wants a kit which is larger in diameter.

Any suggestions?

With the higher end kits should I still replace the nib and ink?

Any advice is welcomed. Sorry if this has been beat up before. I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
El Grande (Churchill) .575ish

Full size gent .64ish

at nib/center point.

Dimensions in inch.

Neither one has a lot of "meat", due to tube size, but that's a different question.

Chief Hill

Majestics and emporer kits are big too. And with these kits I don't replace nib or ink.

JBCustomPens

Jr. Gents and Gents are great pen kits. They are available in 10k gold, gold titanium, and rhodium from CSUSA. Also available is the Statesman and Jr. Statesman, a little bit of an upgrade from the Gentlemans. Your friend should be happy with these or any that have been mentioned above.

Have a good one!

Whaler

My favorites are the Jr Statesman II and Jr Emperor from CSUSA and the Noveau Sceptre from PSI. All are nice quality and have a good feel.

Parson

If you haven't checked out http://laulauwood.com they have a stubby little gold titanium fountain pen kit that looks weird when closed but is a wonderfully balanced pen when posted for writing. I bought one after seeing it at the Dallas Pen Show.

Their "stretch" fountain pen is also a very nice pen kit in the gold titanium. I just did one for a guy I'm mentoring and it turned out great. Looks like the "zen" pen from CSUSA, but the bushings are not the same. BTW, I cut my brass tube a 1/2 inch shorter and it still fits two cartridges or a converter and doesn't look so loooooong. You can't do this with the rollerball, but the FP doesn't require as much length.

I only use gold titanium kits now. I ain't doin' all that work to see the pen a month later with the gold worn off of it because the lucky recipient used it every day.

And no matter what pen kit you buy, I'd recommend replacing the nib with a steel one at the very least. A fine point steel nib is always going to be a better writing pen compared to the cheap Taiwanese medium nibs on the kits.

Top Bottom