What to start with?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Calling all experts.

Two members here deciding what to do first. We have the pen kits comming. We have blanks comming. We even have looked in the library and see the educational videos. So the question of the day is what should be the first turning we do? Wood? Stabilized burl? Acrylics?

Any advice you have about each? What speeds ( for the lathe ) do you run for each material?

We have turned bowls, vases, plates, etc. Now we are ready to try penturning. Does the membership have any advice for us?

Thank you for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

have you had a looksie through the library yet? there is a ton of info in there that may answer all of your questions

IMO, i would practice turning some spindles round, that exactly like turning a pen blank. If you can do that you should be good to go!

plantman

:):) I would suggest glueing your tubes into some scrap wood you have around the shop. This will give you practice centering, drilling, and glueing blanks without risking expensive pieces. Next I would turn these scraps to get the feel of pen turning. It's not the same as bowl or plate turning, you can't be off by 1/32 of an inch, and no one will notice. By starting with scraps you can learn and than turn the blanks down to the tubes and start over with nothing wasted but scrap wood. Look in the library and go on you-tube to find videos on pen turning. Get used to the fact that not everyone you turn is going to be perfect !! Keep your misstakes and learn from them. Don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what the members on this site are here for. Turn at high speed, finish at low speed. Good Luck Jim S

Last edited:

stonepecker

Thank you everyone for the advice. The equipment from CS is due here this week. I just got off the phone with someone that is sending me wood for making pen blanks.
I still am unsure what stabilizer does but in time I will know what to do. One of my mentors tells me she only turns wood that has been stabilised. Just one more thing I have to learn. :hypnotized:
But after Thanksgiving, I should be cutting blanks for turning. I should be looking at the library ( and my books) for ideas and information.

I did order something for the wife for Christmas. A serving utensil set. I will be thinking long and hard as to what wood I should use for the handles. I just KNOW it is going to end up sometime in the dishwasher. :eek:

Keep smiling friends, Wayne

Alzey

Best start is to play with 2x4 pine that may have laying around. I turned pen bodies, 12 inch baseball bat, little bombs that look like fat man and little boy, and a spindle with beads and coves. The idea is to get use to the lathe, tools and finishes.

You do have a face shield, right?

stonepecker

2 lathes......one working. Delta Midi.....bought new this year. Have three face shields....4 sets of earmuffs....and 3M dust masks. Working on a dust collection system other then a shop-vac.
Mostly we have turned Med/small bowls, rustic mushrooms, tire thumpers, wands for the kids to play Harry Potter, roughed out some bowls for this winter to play with. (Have them drying in paper bags.) A dozen 'green' bowls to see them warp.
We have made lots of shavings and are use to the tools. Still learning a lot every time we start a lather or attend a club class. Nothing like "hands-on" to really learn. Do we ever "know" it all? LOL
Bought some logs last spring and took them to the local guy (2 miles) with a bandsaw mill. They are dry now. Mostly boxelder but some black walnut, ash. We have a very good saw mill/ lumber supply just an hour away.
AND, we are readers. But we also are not afraid to ask questions and listen. All help and advice is welcomed.

plano_harry

While you wait, click on the Library, go to the bottom and watch Ed's "How to turn a pen series" Lot's of great info there. Most of the wood I turn is not stabilized. You probably don't need stabilized wood unless it is real soft or spalted. You might avoid wood that has been cut cross/grain until you get the feel of turning small diameters with precision. If you start with inexpensive wood, you can practice your finishing technique at the same time. Don't know what you are used to using on larger turnings, but pens take a beating and most of us use a CA finish which will outlast waxes and other friction finishes.

This site has a ton of information. Learn to use the advanced search function -- most every question I have has already been answered about 20 times!

Have fun,

Harry

OOPS

+1 on Ed's video series. Good information, and nice to periodically "remember" what you're supposed to be doing!

Top Bottom