At What Speed???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

At what speed do you all turn your pens both wood and acrylic??? Also what speed do you sand and what speed do you apply your finish???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Synthetics-3000
Wood-2000 to 3000
Sanding- 1000
CA- 450

These speeds are not set in stone. Alot of the time you have to just "feel" what's right. Most will say 1000 is too fast for sanding but it works FOR ME.:)

OldWrangler

3600, 3600, 3600, and 3600. Or whatever this Jet will crank out on top pulley. This way I can turn out 3-4 pens a day without being on my old feet all day. I work 2 hours in the a.m. and generally 1-2 in the p.m.. The rest of the day is breakfast, lunch and nap!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nothing wrong with speed.

HEAT, on the other hand, is a problem.

DON'T use padded sandpaper, you can't feel heat.
After you've turned enough pens to know the limits of the material you are using, ignore all this, set it for it's highest speed and get DONE before it gets HOT>[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

jttheclockman

Boy, I have to say I am very surprised at the answers for sure. I did not think that turning them at top speed was a good idea but may have to try that. Also sanding at that speed. May have to rethink this turning stuff.

rherrell

Sanding at a fast speed does not necessarily equate to heat. Use a light touch. If you can feel the heat through the paper you need to lighten up, no matter what speed you use.

Top Bottom