What should I turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well, I won a beautiful Damascus steel M3 blank from Mike in the Creative Mug Shots. What kit will this look best with? It's 3/4", so I don't know it COULD fit anything besides a 7mm. Any suggestions? Also, any tips for turning and finishing?

Thanks,
Ryan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cwolfs69

i would think with 4/3" you could make almost any kit. most of the blanks i use and cast start at 3/4". i do not know many, if any, kits that are finished over .700" round.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, I won a beautiful Damascus steel M3 blank from Mike in the Creative Mug Shots. What kit will this look best with? It's 3/4", so I don't know it COULD fit anything besides a 7mm. Any suggestions? Also, any tips for turning and finishing?

Thanks,
Ryan

As others have said, yes IT CAN fit many pen bodies. BUT YOU have to drill it---so if you think you can only make a 7mm---you MAY be RIGHT!!

Most of the popular "two piece" pens use a 10.5 and a 12.5mm hole. 12.5mm=.4921". 3/4"=.75", a difference of .25 (for the sake of easy numbers) which allows you 1/8" all the way around. But, if you and your equipment are not able to stay "centered" on the blank---you could ruin it.

So, do what YOU are comfortable doing. If you have the tools to drill on your lathe---you should easily get this to work. On a drill press----:confused::confused::confused:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
i would think with 4/3" you could make almost any kit. most of the blanks i use and cast start at 3/4". i do not know many, if any, kits that are finished over .700" round.

I was looking at Penn State. Most require a 7/8".

Don't believe everything you read. 7/8" blanks cost more, so a vendor may tell you it is "easier" to get a pen out of a 7/8", therefore THEY recommend it. The caliper and the sizes dictate what is possible---some vendors dictate what is profitable.:eek::eek:

Top Bottom