What should I do with these?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

railrider1920

I was getting a few pieces of "fire wood" for my wife for the outdoor fire place. I came across a couple of pieces that I had to slice up.

First pic: All came from the same piece of oak of some flavor
spaltoak-1.jpg

2nd pic: another piece of oak (I think)
spaltoak-2.jpg

3rd: Some "worm wood". I'd like to know how to get the "dust" the worms created out of the holes and fill them with something else.
wormwood.jpg

4th: spalted holy I got from a guy at a turning meeting I managed to get to one weekend
spaltholly-1.jpg

same wood, other side
spaltholly-2.jpg

Think that these would make some nice pens? I just hope that I can do them justice. I haven't even turned a single pen yet. Waiting on some parts for my lath. I'll have to turn a few dozen pens to make sure I get the hang of it before I even think about turning these. I can't wait.
All are approx. 3/4" square. How long should they be cut? About 4" maybe 4 1/2" to be on the safe side? If I don't reply to any possible questions or comments soon, I will ASAP. Have to head out of town for a couple days sat.

So, what should I do with them? :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

Rob, to clear the worm holes once you cut the wood to blank size let it dry and then use your air compresor hose with a high speed nozzle and blow the holes out. If the frass in the holes is hard pick at them with a sharp object and then use the air hose. If you plan on using Curtis' worthless wood method making the holes a bit larger allows for more resin in the blank.

Eugene

railrider1920

Just got back from NY city. January and walking around up there in a long sleeve shirt, that is strange.

Thanks for the measurements Karl. By punky I'm guessing you mean are they really rotten and falling apart? No, not really at all. All are still good and solid. Well, except where there are holes.

Thanks Rick, I have read it and will rad it again before I give it a try.

R2, ummm, ok, we'll see.

Eugene and Monty, Thanks for the tips on the worm wood. I may give both a try.

Frank, Thanks for microwave tip. I'll definitely do that. Well, I give the oak a try. I'm still just a newbie to turning. Maybe after turning for a while I'll give them a try.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Top Bottom