What is this...and should I cut it up?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CoastalRyan

Not sure where to post this but I picked it up this morning. I hate to cut it up without knowing if its worth something whole.

I believe its teak. Any opinions?

uzVE89xh.jpg

h9YXYavh.jpg

KCnJ6ZVl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks like phenolic electrical insulation material. We used to use stuff like that in our older HV switchgear. Wear a mask if you use it.

Last edited:

jcm71

How heavy is it? If you can guesstimate its volume, you can approximate its density (assuming it is not waterlogged). You could narrow it down from there.

wood-of-1kind

Cut a "slice", the "smell" will tell you if it's "phenolic" as Skippy suggests it is. IF it has an "acrid" smell then it's phenolic. You will definitely tell how if it is a natural wood or a man made material (Phenolic).

CoastalRyan

Cut a "slice", the "smell" will tell you if it's "phenolic" as Skippy suggests it is. IF it has an "acrid" smell then it's phenolic. You will definitely tell how if it is a natural wood or a man made material (Phenolic).
I cut rod phenolic for pool cues and this is wood. I could tell when I sanded it. Its got dents and dings...its wood.

Its nearly 7' long and less than 1.5' wide at the very bottom. I don't have a scale handy but feels like its around 40 pounds. The grain seemed awfully tight for mahogany but I don't use a bunch of mahogany.

TLTHW

I have some old(at least 80 years) mahogany that has that tight of grain and is fairly heavy. I also have some mahogany from a pallet that has a very tight grain and is very heavy(even after letting it sun dry in the back of my pick up last summer.) The end grain on both pieces resembles leather after it is polished.

CoastalRyan

Definitely looks like the "dash" of a boat, and my guess would be teak. I do accept delivery for verification :)
The main reason I was thinking that is was some kind of rudder was because the bolt holes are only on the top narrow third of the piece. Wouldn't a dash bolt on both ends?

Anyway I decided to refinish it, I have someone interested in hanging it in their business after its cleaned up. Hopefully that pans out.

Cmiles1985

So, I'll easily answer the second portion of your original post: you shouldn't cut it up :biggrin:

You know, with the length you mentioned and location of bolt holes, I would be more inclined to say rudder. Is it fiberglass coated?

CoastalRyan

So, I'll easily answer the second portion of your original post: you shouldn't cut it up :biggrin:

You know, with the length you mentioned and location of bolt holes, I would be more inclined to say rudder. Is it fiberglass coated?
No its all wood. The pic where I sanded makes it look like linen phenolic but its all wood.

Got in a junk shop right there on Ayers by the college.

CoastalRyan

I tried going to one of those one day, but the door was chained fantastically! It looks like that was a great find either way.
Most of those places are closed during the week. They have like flea market hours...Fri, Sat, Sun. This particular store was closed for 7 years.

They're having an 11 day sale and then selling the building. Mostly antiques like old coke machines, neon, furniture and about 5-6 old juke boxes. Its across the street from Betty's trash to treasure and the Dickey's outlet. Not exactly a nice neighborhood. Bring a side piece or boot knife...and a translator.

Top Bottom