jkeithrussell

Sharp
Very sharp
Very, very sharp
Razor sharp
Scary sharp
Extremely sharp
SHARP SHARP SHARP

Those are a few from the past several days. For me, a tool is either dull or sharp. I don't know how to go from sharp to SHARP SHARP SHARP or scary sharp. Any pointers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Some of those names refer to techniques used to sharpen or test edges --

Razor sharp generally refers to the ability to shave and bare spots on arms.

Scary Sharp refers to a method of sharpening edges with abrasive paper that is capable of achieving a very fine smooth edge.

Most of the terms deal with the ability to cut fine shavings with high degree of control. General understandings are that a fine edge that will cut fine shavings is easier to control and will result in fewer problems. In the hand of experienced turners, the ability to gain top performenace from less refined edges is expected. With less experienced turners, fine tuned edges are more important.

I am a hone the edge person -- and find that smooth sharp well defined edges work better for me. Those who are production turners (except perhaps Alan Lacer) tend to go from grinder to work and rely on skill and experience with consistent grinds.

Got problem with bad things happening at the edge - wood interface??? Good place to start is to improved the edge geometry and definition. No problems, keep doing what works for you.

leehljp

Member Liaison
LOL! :biggrin:

I agree but I have found that not all people define "Sharp" as the same thing. Some define sharp as when it is "good enough" - which in itself an attitude that settles for less than perfect. :wink:

Tell some people that their tools are not sharp enough and they will argue. Instead of arguing, I just use adjectives to emphasize that they need to "level up" their sharpness to the next level - to use a Japanese phrase.

jkeithrussell

I was thinking that most people use the words as emphasis rather than as an actual statement of the level of sharpness. Looks like there is, in fact, a difference between "sharp" and "scary sharp." I sharpen my tools the best that I can with the equipment that I have. I'm sure there are times when the tools are relatively sharper or less sharp, but I couldn't tell you the difference most of the time. The difference between dull and sharp is much clearer.

pipecrafter

There's definitely a difference. The knife I take out into the yard for garden work is "sharp", the one that sits in my pocket is "razor sharp", the kitchen knife I recently made is "scary sharp", and the one I just made for a customer is "cut you from across the room, sharp". :biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One term I have often thought should be used, but isn't:

Scary dull: That condition wherein you are leaning into the blank, applying much of your weight to the mandrel and accomplishing NO cutting action...... SOME material is being removed and significant heat is being generated. I used this method for the first few years I turned.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Keith... I've learned that if you are asking, you've hit the important stage in sharpening.... The point at which you realize that what you thought was sharp might not be.

I have to say that my idea of sharp is a continual growing process... And the sharper I get my stuff, the better my turning gets!

sbell111

One term I have often thought should be used, but isn't:

Scary dull: That condition wherein you are leaning into the blank, applying much of your weight to the mandrel and accomplishing NO cutting action...... SOME material is being removed and significant heat is being generated. I used this method for the first few years I turned.
That is so true.

Shortly after we set up our sharpening station, my wife commented on how much easier (physically) it is to turn with sharp tools. Until you start sharpening your tools correctly, you don't realize what 'dull' is.

Rollerbob

My first real experience with the wolverine system, I now own a 4" gouge that won't cut butta, a skew that has gone askew, but the wolverine system sure looks nice under my grinder! After saying all this I'm not sure what sharp is!:mad:

Scary dull: That condition wherein you are leaning into the blank, applying much of your weight to the mandrel and accomplishing NO cutting action...... SOME material is being removed and significant heat is being generated.

I like that, I'll have to remember that one!

When I started turning someone said to me, "I sharpen my tools not because they are dull, but because they can be sharper."

I've lived by those word ever since.

Top Bottom