What is a rollerball pen exactly?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Sorry if this is a really rookie question,but I was wondering what exactly is a rollerball pen like?

By the sounds of it,it sounds like it would be nice to write with.Does it like glide over the paper?

Is there a kit that you would recommend for a first-time guy like me to buy that assembles easier than say another brand?

Thanks,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crickett

This is the explanation Wikipedia gives:

Rollerball pens are writing instruments which use ball point writing mechanisms with water-based liquid or gelled ink, as opposed to the oil-based viscous inks found in ballpoint pens. The characteristics of these less viscous inks, which tend to saturate more deeply and more widely into paper than other types of ink, give rollerball pens their distinctive writing qualities. Some people refer to them as "inky" pens.

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
You can't go wrong with a Jr. Gent 2. I just did my first Electra this weekend, and it was really easy, you may like it as well.

You can always try a gel insert for any pen you make that takes a Parker style as well. I usually use a gel for anything I personally write with just because I like the way they perform.

DurocShark

From a practical standpoint: Rollerballs don't require pressure on the paper to get the ink to flow. It's much thinner than ballpoint ink and as such just flows out.

Upside: Less hand cramping, writing has more flow to it.
Downside: Don't leave it uncapped, or let it uncap in your pocket.

OKLAHOMAN

+1
When I demo a rollerball I will hold it with my thumb and forefinger by the top and let just the weight of the pen glide across the paper. writes a nice perfect line and shows the customer that no pressure is needed.
From a practical standpoint: Rollerballs don't require pressure on the paper to get the ink to flow. It's much thinner than ballpoint ink and as such just flows out.

Upside: Less hand cramping, writing has more flow to it.
Downside: Don't leave it uncapped, or let it uncap in your pocket.

Top Bottom