What refill are you using

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

On the higher end pens that are ballpoint, what refills are you all using??? Such kits as the Jr Gent, Majestic, Barons and so forth.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

JT, are you talking Ball point or Roller Ball? As far as I know ( I don't know Much) only the Jr. Gent comes as a Ball Point. On the roller balls I change the refills on the Jr. Gent to the 5888 from the 888 Schmidt. When I used to make the Barons they came with a Hauser refill and I threw them as far away as possible and put in Schmidt 5888's. I don't do Ball Points now but I used to use Parker Gels in them.

OKLAHOMAN

The 5888's are rollerball refills,the Parker Gel a ball point
( really a gel that fits the ball point) the jr. gent comes two ways a rollerball and a ballpoint .

Maybe I'm not as sophisticated at penmanship as Roy, (my hand writing is spastic at best...my wife accuses me of being a closet brain surgeon because of it...) but I really haven't noticed any difference in the writing of the refills that come with the kits.... I will tell people where they can buy refills when they have used up the stock refills... on the occasions where I have gotten some kits, mostly slimlines and Euro's and occasionally a cigar where the refill has leaked or oozed out... I'll replace those with similar refills from the office supply stores.
That said, also keep in mind, I don't make pens at the level that Roy does either... and I'm making fewer all the time... my turning preference has moved on to other things.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I can't bring myself to even use a stock refil after ordering in some private reserve refils and compareing the difference.

DennisM

I can't bring myself to even use a stock refil after ordering in some private reserve refils and compareing the difference.

I am with you on that. First show I did, I had the stock refills in the pens on display and offered the private reserves as a upgrade, each and every person that tried both, immediately bought the pen and the upgraded refill..

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm with you guys. The private reserve parker refills are awesome. Those things actually write like rollerballs.

OKLAHOMAN

I'm a Private reserve dealer and maybe I need to order some of the Parker style refills for ball points and rethink about adding and selling some Elegant Beauties or something a little bit upscale in the ball point line. The main reason I've dropped ball points from my line is writeability. Then again if they do write as good as some say I might lose some high end rollerball sales......Hmmmm another thing to ponder.

KenV

Fisher "Space Pen" refills are the only thing to consider other than the Schmidt Private Reserve (also repackaged under other names).

Fisher handles some environmental conditions better than anything else I have seen. Still use them in my personal pens as they work in any position or most any condition.

My wife greatly prefers the private reserve refills. I'm a grind the crayon into the paper kind of writer so I don't notice the difference quite as much. The biggest issue that I have with the stock refills is that they don't seem to last that long and right out of the box they are not that smooth. This year I'm starting to make a better class of pen, nothing in 24ct gold, refills are gel, rollerball, or private reserve. Most people don't know all the technical details all they ask is is this a great looking pen and does it write well and if the answer is no to either one in their mind it is a cheap pen. When you explain the details of refills their eyes start to glaze over. The quality has to be noticeable right out of the box. And for me a regular ballpoint doesn't cut it.

DurocShark

I've got to say, the Dayacom Cross and Parker refills have been favorites of my customers. They go buy genuine Cross or Parker refills, and come back to me saying they don't write as smooth as the one that came with the pen. I've referred them to the liquid silk and gel refills, but some (including my wife) still prefer the originals.

I need to start inventorying those things. LOL!

DennisM

I'm a Private reserve dealer and maybe I need to order some of the Parker style refills for ball points and rethink about adding and selling some Elegant Beauties or something a little bit upscale in the ball point line. The main reason I've dropped ball points from my line is writeability. Then again if they do write as good as some say I might lose some high end rollerball sales......Hmmmm another thing to ponder.

They write just as good if not better and no smearing or bleeding...

jttheclockman

I have added the Private reserve refills for the cigars and the Sierras I make but was wondering about the higherend pens such as the Gents, Jr gents, and Majestics and such. Is the stock rollerball the way to go or is a step up needed and if so what.

OKLAHOMAN

JT, most if not all of the high end rollerballs come with a Schmidt refill, either a 888 or a 5888, I've come to the point of replacing the 5888 with a 888 , just seems the metal refill writes smoother. I also ask the customer if they want black,blue,fine or medium and usually end up selling them extras....

Top Bottom