What is a REALLY orange wood???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodnPecker

Hello Everyone,
I am having some people asking me about doing them a pen in orange and white wood because orange and white are Tennessee's college football team's colors. Well, I have some really white Holly wood for the white but I was wondering what is the orangest wood I can find? I have a really orange piece but I don't know what it is beacuse it was included as a free blank when I ordered some others. I think it would work OK if I knew what kind it was so I could order some more.

If anyone knows of some really orange wood I would sure appreciate your help.

Take care!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pen-turners

I made about 10 Tennessee pens about a year and a half ago. For half of them I used Holly and I dyed one half using leather dye. For the others, I used orange and white corian. They all got gobbled up for $30 a piece in about 2 days when I sent them back with a buddy on leave.

Chris

leehljp

Member Liaison
When I made my first Padauk and finished it, the first thing I thought of was sending it to my niece's husband who is an alumnus of UTn (not Tx [:)] ) and a huge fan, supporter - he lives ORANGE!

I liked the Padauk pen so much, I decided to keep it and it is the one I carry around all the time. I will soon make some more Padauk. Some Padauk have black streaks in it (as mine does); but there are some with more even grain.

The pen below is a little dark and some Padauk is lighter, but it can give you a general idea.

46067018-951d-0200006B-.jpg

wayneis

Bryant the best way to go would in my opinion be using Holly for it all and dying the part that you want orange. Another thing about Holly is that it can be dyed stabilized and dyed at the same time and you get a very consistant color through out the blank. I don't think that many people know about stabilizing Holly but it works very well.

There are a couple of orange woods but not a consistant color and some of them tend to darken with age like paduk which turns a rich dark orange brown after a while. Some cocobolo is also orange or has a lot of orange in it but is very inconsistant in color. It can run in any color from dark purple to bright orange and a bunch of colors in between. One other option may be dymond wood but I am not sure if it comes in orange.

Wayne

coach

My University of Texas fans (the real UT) LOL like the Padauk. It will suit the Tennessee colors perfect. By the way, my 5 month old is named Peyton. I am a quarterback coach, so you can figure that one out. LOL

low_48

Pernambuco is a really good choice. It's specialty use is for musical instrument bows, buts here's a link for some.

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WS&Category_Code=Pernambuco

Rich

Scott

Hi Bryant!

Orange is a school color here in this corner of Idaho as well. The best orange I have been able to acheive, I turned the pen from curley maple, then "dyed" it using an orange Sharpie marker. I keep coloring it, blending it in with a little alcohol on a paper towel, until I get the right intensity. Then I did a CA finish. I gave it to my secretary, and she uses it every day, and it still looks as good as when I made it! No fading or anything. Just another alternative.

Scott.

Go VOLS, even if the Texans are confused. There is an orangeheart wood that I saw on one fo the forums last week but don't know how orange. I used BBs Mandarin orange acrylic to make mine. There is also a mandarin orange corian but will only make SL w/o glue up. I know it's not wood but w/o dyeing you may be hard pressed. If you do find an orange wood let me know please.

darbytee

Bryant, I was at the local Hogan's in OKC this weekend and they had some really nice paduak. If you have any trouble finding it let me know and I'll be glad to help you out. By the way, I'll be back living in Knoxville in November so don't get too used to my territory.[:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom