What is the real drill bit size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

I have used my last V1 Gent and Statesman. I now have to buy the V2. What I wanted to know is what is the real drill bit size for the 12.5mm. Was CSUSA for real?? I have never seen a half MM bit before. I think a 1/2" would work.

What do all of you use?

Ryan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

1/2 mm sizes are available but I would agree that a 1/2" drill would suffice.

12.5mm = .4921"
1/2" = .5000"

Not a whole lot of difference.

Ron Mc

Ryan,
I get my 12.5 MM bits at an aviation surplus supply store. If you or anyone else happens to find one where you live take a look.[;)]You would be shocked at the volume of new drill bits.

Randy_

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />1/2 mm sizes are available but I would agree that a 1/2" drill would suffice.

12.5mm = .4921"
1/2" = .5000"

Not a whole lot of difference.

Presumably, a 12.5 mm drill bit already provides a few thou clearance for the tube so a 1/2" bit will be oversize by even more than the 0.008" as suggested in Mudder's post. Bottom line...1/2" might work or it might not. You may just have to try it and see what works??

That is a pretty popular kit. I expect someone will be along shortly who has already tried the 1/2" bit and can offer some first hand experience.

And in the same vein, I saw some information on another web site that said the recommended max joint width for Titebond glue was 0.005". Got me to wondering what the specs were for CA and epoxy?? I imagine that PU glue can handle "Grand Canyon" joints.[:D]

reed43

I have made about 30 Jr. Statesman V2 using the 1/2 bit, no problems. I use thick c-a for my tubes.When these first came out they listed a 1/2 bit for the top barrel.

TomServo

Randy: epoxy will have the best gap-filling properties, followed by PU and then variants of CA (thick). There's specs for the CA glue gap-filling - seems medium (100cps) is rated to .005" and thick (700cps) to .007" Probably about .002" on thin. Epoxy is limited more by shrinkage - the more you have, the more it will shrink (clearly not good for bonding!) I can't see shrinkage affecting the bond strength of any gaps in wood of less than like 1/4" - probably more like 1/2"

ArtinNY

The 12.5mm drill is very common. We have 8-10 different mfgs. that offer them. Don't limit your search to just home improvement, hardware, & woodworker supply stores. The best source for cutting tools is an industrial distributor. Most of them will sell less than package quanity with no minimums for a cash sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom