What is the real Difference between Platinum and S

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I really believe I'm been reading too much. But what is the true difference between a Platinum plating and a Sterling Silver plating in appearance for the customer to view? thanks bill Daniels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
In my subjective observations from a long while, outside of pens, SS has a softer sheen and very slightly 'whiter" look. Platinum seems to be more solid, a hint darker and more like a highly polished and more refined "chrome" look. If I have a choice, I will usually choose SS for its tactile feel and perception. I will choose platinum over chrome any day when there is a choice.

AS to the actual pen company platings, I don't have a clue. Good question and I would like to know the difference also.

bitshird

If it's actually sterling plate, it will tarnish, and wear off much faster than Platinum, Platinum has a slightly darker tint, a bit more toward gray , and about a $1443.00 per OZ difference.
Me thinks the Platinum plating will have quite a bit of Paladium in it, Looks about the same but much less expensive.
With Rhodium selling at over 6000.00 sure glad it's a HARD metal,and wears extremly well, for some reason it has alwqays looked cold to me, and I used to work with it quite a bit, replating White Gold repairs.
Ken Ferrell

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
MOHS hardness scale - a measure of durability
Rhodium is 5.5
.999 Silver is 3.25
24k Gold is 2.75
Platinum is 4.3
Nickel is 7.0
Chrome is 5.5
A US penny is 3.0
A fingernail is 2.5

avbill

Someone asked "why do you ask? Well there chrome, Platinum, Sterling Silver and Rhodium. If you are making a pen and the difference is between chrome and Sterling Silver there is more weight as people will believe Sterling Silver is the better pen finish. And then you add the mix of the other plating and my head started to spin. Thank you all for your posts.

bill

redfishsc

When I sell a pen, plating is only mentioned in terms of durability. I sell only the more durable platings, 100% of my gold pens are Ti gold, I also carry plat/rhodium, chrome, black ti, and occasionally a black "chrome" or satin nickel. All of these have had good durability for me, especially the black ti.

I let the customer find the pen they like, and THEN I talk about what it is plated with. I remind them that what I sell is much more durable than the cheapo plating used on the really expensive european pens. One of these days I am going to buy a nice, worn Mont Blanc from someone to show the difference between gold plating and Ti gold.

Stephen

Hi Lou,
Have I missed something in my lack of info on platings or are they covered in your scale? I like your chart on hardness scale. tell me where is TI gold, and black TN on your scale. Much obliged.
Thanks.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hi Stephen - Most titanium compounds are in the 9+ range. Since we really don't know the exact compound chemical, I can't be more specific than that.

Stephen

Hi Lou,
Thank You Very much indeed for the response. It is 1225 hrs. in Singapore. You must be around 0015 hrs. if I am correct.
Greatly Appreciated.
Stephen

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by redfishsc

When I sell a pen, plating is only mentioned in terms of durability. I sell only the more durable platings, 100% of my gold pens are Ti gold, I also carry plat/rhodium, chrome, black ti, and occasionally a black "chrome" or satin nickel. All of these have had good durability for me, especially the black ti.

I let the customer find the pen they like, and THEN I talk about what it is plated with. I remind them that what I sell is much more durable than the cheapo plating used on the really expensive european pens. One of these days I am going to buy a nice, worn Mont Blanc from someone to show the difference between gold plating and Ti gold.

I agree with most of what you said and like your approach with customers.
However, you said, in part, "cheapo plating used on the really expensive european pens".
Is that what you really intended to say? Or did you mean (IN)expensive....?
And, why did you pick on the European style pen? It is a very popular style and is available with titanium plating. I make many of them.

sbell111

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Originally posted by redfishsc

I agree with most of what you said and like your approach with customers.
However, you said, in part, "cheapo plating used on the really expensive european pens".
Is that what you really intended to say? Or did you mean (IN)expensive....?
And, why did you pick on the European style pen? It is a very popular style and is available with titanium plating. I make many of them.
He wasn't referring to pens made from the European kit. He was talking about expensive commercially made pens, like the Mont Blanc.

Top Bottom