What plastics don't have a terrible smell when turned?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

williaty

I recently started turning plastics. Doing research before trying, I had read that acrylic acetate was one of the easiest plastics to work with, so I bought a bunch of AA blanks. To my dismay, AA has a TERRIBLE smell while turning. It smells like someone doused the whole place in superglue! Even more frustrating, the dust making the smell is so fine it passes right though my NRC-certified High Efficiency dust filtration (meaning the things are damned small!). Because it'll pass through the filters, that means that the whole shop stinks again a week later when you turn the dust collection back on and it disturbs the AA dust in the filter. I've had enough of the nausea, enough of the headaches, and I'm done with AA.

So, what kinds of plastics don't produce a terrible smell from the dust? Alumalite? Rhino plastic? Lucite? Ebonite? TruStone? Kirinite?

Oh, and I was planning on stabilizing wood using Cactus Juice. What does that smell like when turned into dust?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

Plastic

I recently started turning plastics. Doing research before trying, I had read that acrylic acetate was one of the easiest plastics to work with, so I bought a bunch of AA blanks. To my dismay, AA has a TERRIBLE smell while turning. It smells like someone doused the whole place in superglue! Even more frustrating, the dust making the smell is so fine it passes right though my NRC-certified High Efficiency dust filtration (meaning the things are damned small!). Because it'll pass through the filters, that means that the whole shop stinks again a week later when you turn the dust collection back on and it disturbs the AA dust in the filter. I've had enough of the nausea, enough of the headaches, and I'm done with AA.

So, what kinds of plastics don't produce a terrible smell from the dust? Alumalite? Rhino plastic? Lucite? Ebonite? TruStone? Kirinite?

Oh, and I was planning on stabilizing wood using Cactus Juice. What does that smell like when turned into dust?

Plastics smell .

And so will the stabilized wood.

1080Wayne

I think you need to try the different kinds to see the kind and intensity of smell you can live with . Not everyone likes or dislikes the same smells . Alumilite , Lucite , Truestone , PVC and others are less intense to my nose than AA or polyester . I like the AA smell but dislike the polyester .

jttheclockman

All plastics will smell. Even woods. If woods did not bother you as much stay with them. Many segmented ideas can come from working with woods. I would invest in a good dust collector system and pull the dust and smell at the source. Everything we do in this hobby will have some lingering smells. How bad is an individual thing.

Or just make all metal pens. They do not smell:)

williaty

Yeah, I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that the late basically needs enclosed in a fume hood vented straight outside when you factor in the dust and finishes being used on it. The thought makes me sad, though, because one of the things I like the most about working on the lathe (compared to flatwork) is that I can work without ear plugs and I don't get noise fatigue. Having to run the DC demands earplugs as that thing is LOUD.

Also, the mystery plastic that I asked you guys for help identifying a couple of weeks ago didn't strike me as having an objectionable smell (at least compared to AA), so that's what makes me think perhaps working in other plastics will go fine.

Last edited:

Mr Vic

I don't mind the odor but have a small fan that blows across my shoulder. The wife will come in and wine that it smell terrible. I just tell her she doesn't have to stay. Yeah I get the look but she still loves me.

Air circulation is a must and they all have a smell. Give your tools a rest occasionally so they can stay cool. The heat generated from turning will increase the smell and potential for the glue to de-bond and allow slippage.

Herb G

I keep all my wood pen blanks in a tool box so I can find them easily.
It smelled like wood every time I opened it.

Then, I tossed a couple AA blanks in the box & everything stinks like a chemical factory now. So much for that. :rolleyes:

WriteON

If you think acrylic stinks when turning .....try mixing a batch and heat or cold cure it. When the powder/liquid get mixed in open air you'd think you were in a nail salon. Forget about a face mask...a respirator is needed.

Last edited:

Herb G

If you think acrylic stinks when turning .....try mixing a batch and heat or cold cure it. When the powder/liquid get mixed in open air you'd think you were in a nail salon. Forget about a face mask...a respirator is needed.
I used to work in a boat building shop years & years ago.
You wanna talk about something that stinks to high heaven?
Even a respirator wouldn't help when I was pouring fiberglass resin.:bulgy-eyes:

Even in the dead of Winter, you could see the fumes coming off the hull.
It was like looking down a hot asphalt road in the Summer when you see the heat ripples coming off the road.

I worked there for 3-4 years & had to quit. I still stop by there once in awhile & the owner still asks me when I'm coming back to work for him. :)

WriteON

I don't know,

the one that smells the worst is your credit card as the wife takes it shopping and is mad because she found out you bought a bunch of new pen stuff.:eek::eek:

Ya had to go there. I changed my tactics. If I have a box of pen stuff or a new pool cue on the front steps I tell her I bought it for her. Did backfire once

Top Bottom