What pen are you most proud of?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I recently took a training class from Lou Tice. One of his quotes is "wallow in your success". I think this could be a great thread. Everyone please tell a little story or note about something that you are VERY proud of in penturning. Be it a simple slimline or a completely custom pen. Tell us just a little about it and WHY you are so proud of it. (picture optional)

I'll start. The attached pen is one of the ones entitled "cross on a hill". I don't profess to be the designer of it, but I did it in my own method. The reason I like it so much is it was the first one that I was successful at inlays and not just segmenting (the hill is a segment, but the cross is inlayed). This was done with a simple cheap tablesaw. I acquired a new saw this summer - seeing this pen has reminded me that its time to do some more segmenting and inlays.

Attachments

• IMG_7410.JPG
    IMG_7410.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 335
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bking0217

The one I'm most proud of I did just today. It's a simple slimline made from maple burl. I'm proud of it because it's the first time I did a CA finish correctly.

GoodTurns

This is the one I hope to never sell (but I put a price tag on it!) Just very happy with everything about it; looks nice, feels great in hand, history.....

Mammoth Ivory and Bog Oak...engraving by Kallenshan

Attachments

• mammoth.jpg
    mammoth.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 326

IPD_Mrs

I have many that I am proud of. My first Eagle blank. A sweet two tone DIW burl. Making my first Eagle feathers. But I have to say the one I am most proud of is one that Eagle's wife sent us in 2009. It was one of his last completed blanks and was wrapped in gauze not wanting to reveal itself. It took me a year to gather the courage to turn in. I never blew out one of Eagle's blanks and I had no intention of starting with the last irreplaceable blank. It was completed on July 4th. this year.

BlackFeathers.jpg

Linda now has this pen and I rarely get to see it.

witz1976

Mine was the "Atlantic Dreams" PITH pen I sent to Phunk2003 this past year. It was my first attempt at scrolling & casting embedded items into resin. While the idea was not mine, I was gracious to Jeff Powell for writing an article on how he did his leaf pens.

Brooks803

I have two that I'm most proud of. The first is my Black Onyx TruStone Majestic. It was something talked about here on the forums as something we all wanted to see done (replacing the stupid crystal) and I made this:

At that point it was the best pen I'd ever made. It was the first time I was able to actually make something EXACTLY how I had imagined it. I'm also proud of it because Richard at R&B Crafts thought this pen belonged in his customer gallery which is full of some amazing pens.

The second pen I'm most proud of is my Sodalite TruStone Semi-Kitless pen:

It was a world of firsts for me. First double closed end, first hidden clip, and first try at kitless. This one is staying in my collection for good. This has also graced the front page here at IAP and is also the Representative of Sodalite TruStone on R&B crafts website.

MatthewZS

The first one piece cigar I did I think is one I'm most proud of. Texas ebony and Mesquite, Hand carved clip, custom fineal, one piece. Each of the custom elements was my first time tackling that aspect so while it may not be much I was very tickled with myself.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 173
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Boy Dean that's a tough one.
I'd say there's two of them. Both are done using a Navigator kit. One is segmented yellowheart and purpleheart. I can't take credit for making the blank but I did modified the centerband by replacing the black ring with one made with purpleheart and I replaced the black finial on the cap with one made from a piece of the blank.
The second one is a closed end navigator using claro walnut. I chose this one because I'd never seen a closed end pen before and I made the tooling to complete it.
If I were to pick a third it would be an Ultimate Cigar Stars and Stripes pen I did today while doing a demo at Woodcraft. I'd pick this one because I didn't screw it up infront of a dozen people. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Dsc03667.jpg
    Dsc03667.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Dsc03703.jpg
    Dsc03703.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 128

ctubbs

No picture, but proud anyway. It is not one pen but a collection that I sent off for our troups. I worked long and hard to produce them. I think they all had a decent finish. Each was made with love and respect, maybe that accounts for something. I had help from Smitty on cost of the kits. That helped a bit as I was unemploied at the time. Proud? Yes, just a little bit.
Charles
Oh, yes, I still have my first try at a pen. It does right, there are many things wrong with it, but, it does remind me of where I started from. I'm a bit proud of it, too.

PenPal

REBAR PEN,

Very fond memories of creating this pen. I learnt later when I made a few of them this Steel comes in hardened for long runs fixing and softer for bending. Guess what this was made from the hardened drilled out brass sleeves fitted, selected matching threads one counter clockwise, one clockwise, the look on the Steel Fixer priceless when he received the pen. The steel is partly oval as well the holes dead centre.

Regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 186

hilltopper46

This would have to be mine. I need to get back to this part of the hobby instead of worrying about 'what sells the best.' Disclaimer - that comment is directed straight at myself - no one else.

Attachments

• Pen404.JPG
    Pen404.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Pen404a.JPG
    Pen404a.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 128

ldb2000

I have 2 pens that I am most proud of , one ballpoint and one Fountain pen . They are both kitless and made of brass and aluminum on my Jet 1014vsi .
The first is my Twindows ballpoint . You operate this pen by twisting the inner brass barrel inside the window .

The other is an aluminum and brass hooded nib fountain pen .

gwisher

I have 2 that I'm very proud of the first one is my first attempt at a celtic knot which I think turned out great. It is on a cigar kit made of Camaru and Maple. I gave this one to my Lieutenent and everytime I see him he has it with him. He brings it to all of his meetings and shows it off. It is nice to see someone appreciates the hard work that goes into our craft.

The second is an autism puzzle inlay kit that was donated by Lou for a fundraiser we held. Although it is not my design it still took a great deal of time and it turned out way better than I could have ever imagined! And I made it for a great cause.

1_IMG_0043.JPG
1_895858921_2RDQd-M.jpg

Top Bottom