What pen do you make for yourself

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bedangerous

Just wondering if you are making a pen for yourself what kit and wood would you use. As I learn this art I see big differences in the different kits and wood. Some kits are nicer to hold than others. I am sure there are a lot of personal preferences. So far I find the Magnetic Graduate from PSI to be the most comfortable for me to write with and it looks great.
Thanks
Mitch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GRMiller

Myself I have done a 30 cal bolt action. So far 4 have seemed to have grown legs and walked off. My wife thinks I make these pens for her to give away without no financial compensation in return. Except when I place an order she asks how much can I afford lol. Back to my pen I use antler, and right now I use Shelli was for a finish.

Katya

In my purse I carry an engraved Jr. Statesman rollerball, the kind I like to make and sell. At the kitchen counter my go-to pen is a long click (with Marla's feathers on it). And at to foot of my computer I have a Churchill rollerball, in an Art Nouveau pen tray<g>.

Jim Smith

I have a number of pens that I carry in my computer bag. I find that pens made out of different materials draw the most attention that leads to sales. I have a circuit board pen, a copper Sierra with cast Copperhead skin blank, a money pen from Bruce119, and soon to add a nautical map Zen pen made from a blank provided by MarkO. Wooden pens are beautiful and many people really like them, but in my experience, it's the non-traditional pen blanks usually catch people's eye.

Jim Smith

ladycop322

My Pick

I have lot of watches throughout the years and cannot wear them all at once so I am making my own watch part pen and I will be able to enjoy it and think of all the people in my life throughout the years that gave them to me. It will have an abundance of sentimental value to me.

paintspill

I kinda surprised myself when i started to really think about this. first off my all day everyday carry pen is a baron fountain pen with a shaped nib. i work in a store/factory so it is pretty beat up but still my favorite. at work i carry three on my person. the fountain pen for regular writing, an atrax custom cast rollerball for filling out carbon copy stuff and signing shipping doc's. and a sierra click for 'quick draw' when someone starts calling out numbers and i don't have time to unscrew a cap, this is also the pen i hand to customers to sign invoices/visa slips.
i also pull one of several very nice pith pens that i carry in my dress shirt pocket for special occations.

kovalcik

I usually use a pen that is not quite up to snuff. My current is a LeRoi. SOMEONE forgot to use Loctite on finial press-in so the clip comes loose and has marked up the Mesquite barrel. I also have a stylus where the wood came out very bland. Previously I used my first segmenting try, a Cherry/Maple Jr. Gent II (the joints were not very tight), and before that a Rosewood Jr Gent I that had a small crack after pressing in the finial (I blame the same guy who forgot the Loctite). You get the idea. The only constant is that I only choose wood pens.

I am hoping to mess up a Magnetic Graduate or Optimus Desire soon.

Last edited:

MichaelD

My desk pen is a Sierra click and everyday carry is a Long Click. Still looking for an everyday pencil. Probably have to go kitless on that one.

sbwertz

The only pen I have ever carried is a slimline mulberry/turquoise. One of the first I made, and one of the prettiest. It is small and fits in the outside pocket of my purse. I use a space-pen refill in it. Amazingly, I have managed not to lose it for almost 4 years.

eranox

I carry a pen that I made from one of Fred's (a.k.a. fatdawg) 30.06 rifle cartridge kits. The barrel is made from deer antler and buffalo horn, and the antler had some voids in it which I have inlayed with turquoise. It's not exceptionally pretty, but it's very eye-catching.

I am an avid shooter and occasional hunter myself, and I work on a military base where there is no shortage of shooting enthusiasts. Using the pen brings my productivity way down, as I'm often having to stop and answer inquiries about the pen! :) No complaints, though, it's helped me sell quite a few. They're popular for military retirement and PCS gifts.

SteveJ

Most of my daily use pens are ones which I have received from others here through PITH swaps, but the pen I've had in my pocket longest and the one I actually like the best is an old slimline I made a 15 years ago using wood from an apple tree in my parents back yard.

jdmacdo

Carry around pen

The one I have been carrying is a Wall Street II with Stylus tip on a worthless wood blank. I am carrying this one because I forgot to paint the tube or the inside of the blank, so the emerald green now looks more like copper and I don't feel right selling it. It still gets a lot of comments when I take it out and has gotten me a few orders from friends.

The other one I carry at times is a Majestic Jr. with a red dyed corn cob (it's Iowa, gotta know your customer base). In the right location, that will generate a lot of conversation and orders.

fisher

Bullet ,Bolt Action's,Big Ben Cigar's.So far .im working on some Fountain's.

plantman

My personal pen that I carry is most often a PSI Magnetic Vertex Supreme in Brazilian Rosewood and Gold fittings. I like the shape of the finials, the balance, and the magnitic posting. I also keep a Deluxe Sketch Pen/Pencil in my pocket for shop use. Jim S

Penultimate

I carry a custom cebloplast fountain pen (blue ink) and a custom iPad stylus. On my desk I have a custom rollerball (red ink), Sierra pencil, and a bullet ball point.

preacherman

I have made a few that I ended up keeping because of some minor flaw. I did not feel right trying to sell them and not about to give away a second rate pen. I have only made one for myself. That was just a two months ago, I made my birthday present from my wife and little girl for myself. It is a Atrax rollerball wrapped with Amboyna burl. It was intended for me from picking out the kit and blank. It goes in my pocket every morning before I leave and I really enjoy that pen.

buttonsHT

At home on my desk I have an Emperor with a trustone black mother of pearl blank, at work on my desk I have a Sierra click, an el grande and a shop pencil.

Jim Burr

Banned
My scrubs have a dual pen pocket on the left sleeve so a gunmetal Sierra EB with a Lazerlinez Caduceus blank and a matte black bolt action with paduk. My uniform only has the blouse pocket pen sleeve, but the bolt action fits.

thewishman

It doesn't matter. Each time I make a special pen, just for me, someone wants to buy it. I cheerfully make myself a brand new pen and start the process over again. This works very well for me because I'm bored easily and always want something new and different.:)

ossaguy

Every pen I make,I make it with the thought of if I never sell it,I'll be happy just to have it in my collection.

I do like the special feeling I get when I have a "Fresh off the lathe" pen to carry in my shirt pocket going to church on Sunday mornings.

It's so hot out here most of the time,that I never have a shirt with a pocket to put a pen in,mostly just tee shirts.....

At my mechainc job,I carry a segmented Spartan pen that is not perfect to sell.I'm giving it a long-term road test.So far,I love it! The o-rings are easy to grip with oily hands.

Steve

Mintman

Although I didn't make them specifically for myself, I currently use a Roman Harvest FP in ebony with Diamine majestic blue ink and I also carry a Ligero FP in cherry burl with the Diamine red dragon ink.

I carry a chrome Vertex dressed in Zircote. Walked into a jewelry store one Christmastime looking for a gift for LOML. When it was time to sign the credit card slip I pulled it out. "Nice pen". "Thanks, I make them". "Really?"
Sold four on the spot and got orders for three more. Store mgr, two clerks and a customer.
I'm thinking I'll always carry that one.

Cmiles1985

I, like the above posts, have not made a pen specifically for myself. I end up keeping the one-offs. I like Parker style pens, so my normal go to is a stylus tipped gold Mesa wrapped in spalted white ash burl. It is slightly OOR at the nib end, and the finish isn't perfect by any means, but that is my favorite pen. Second is an ebonite slimline with a white pearl and Bloodwood segment at the cap. There is something about that pen that I love, but don't know what it is.

WriteON

My pocket pen is a telescoping stylus(left) made with maple from a pool cue shaft.
My desk pen is a cheapie from Staples or Office Depot

Attachments

• telescoping stylus.jpg
    telescoping stylus.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 118

Beedeejay

Every time I order a new style of kit, I order an extra one for myself, I hardly ever use them as it's more for my "private" collection:biggrin:,

at work at the moment I have the first chrome slimine that I made with an acrylic blank, it is thin and light so it doesn't weigh my shirt / singlet down while I'm at work, and if I drop it on the concrete it seems to hold up better than any others I have tried ( I had an executive clicker with a beautiful cast resin blank I got in a swap I used to use, until I dropped it on the concrete and put a big crack in it:at-wits-end:, )

But I do like to use any new style of pen I make for a few days to get used to it so I can tell customers the pros n cons of each pen and then help them choose a style that suits what they want,

Cheers Ben

plano_harry

Except for custom orders, I make all my pens for myself, and then sell them when someone wants it more than I do. I like to carry pens that get attention, because I don't have time or skill to advertise effectively. Fountain pens get attention -- especially red alligator ones! It starts the conversation and then we find one on my pens that they like, or I will make them one. Really tempted to try red ink..:eek:

Top Bottom