What model pen to start with?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolland

I am just getting started in pen turning, well actually I have not started just getting some supplies and equipment together. My question is what is the best pen model to get started with.
I have a machine shop so I have some knowledge but pen turning is a new direction.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Most people start with the slimline. Why? Cause that's what everyone has done.

I would recommend the cigar (chrome kits are not too expensive) which has an upper and lower section and is a nice pen--Parker refill, I've sold hundreds of them (retail at craft shows--finished pens)

Second choice would be the single piece sierra family. Easy to turn

greggas

As Ed wrote I'd start with the Cigar. Much better tranny quality ( usually) than the slim and larger diameter I feel is easier when first getting going

alphageek

Former Moderator
The slimline is a love/hate relationship. Its generally the cheapest hardware... However it is also a pen where you tend to turn off a lot of material. Thats good if you need practice, but in general it can also be pretty unforgiving with some materials (especially the more transparent ones because of the thin material at the ends of the tubes).

If you are willing to spend a little more on hardware the sierra and cigar are both pretty good choices. The only warning I would give to the cigar is that there is 4 different diameter bushings and the tubes are the same diameter but different lengths. This can be a point to trip you up a little.

Drstrangefart

I'm still pretty new and chewing my way relentlessly through Slimlines. Great way to learn on found wood, and other materials at minimum cost if you find Slims on sale. I'm ready for Cigars and Sierras now.

snyiper

I like slims they are very easily customized. Of course you get decent with them everything else seems easier.....

DKF

Cigar ... just a great pen to learn on
Sierra/Elegant Beauty ... popular with the ladies
Jr. Gent II ... you've gotta have a rollerball in your arsenol

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Whatever

Many recommend slimlines and offer slimlines in their starter sets. They recommend them primarily for those who have no experience turning - if you've turned about anything else, you'll be able to turn pens. If you likeas I did, which was that I'd need to turn a hundred or so pens before I'd be much good at it slimline is the only way to go.

If you've turned before and think you'll catch on quick the cigars and sierra's will be fine.

jttheclockman

I turned one slimline in my pen turning carrer and will not turn another. It has no appeal to me at all. From the very first time I saw a slimline I see these bulging pens with a skinnnnnnnnnnnnny little waste for a center band. If you turn bushing to bushing you might as well use a toothpick. My big hands would swallow that pen up. :)To me the best pen to learn on is the Sierra family. Can't screw that up if you tried. Get the cheaper platings if you want to save money. But you will quickly want to step up your game. Now this is just an opinion so don't shoot the messenger. :eek:

its_virgil

Other than being the least expensive kits, there is no reason to start with slimlines or any other kit for that matter. They are all made basically the same way....drill, glue in tubes, square the ends, place on mandrel with bushings, turn to the proper diameter, sand, finish, and assemble. A few kits require turning a tenon for the CB. I would say to browse the catalogs or websites of kit sellers, find a pen you like, read the instructions to see how the pen is made, order one and get after. Pick a kit that you feel confident in making. Most twist pens that use a parker style refill are a bit sensitive to barrel lengths but follow instructions and you will be fine. I think the slimline has garnered the reputation as the starter kit because when many of us started there wasn't many choices and when a few of us older ones started they were the only kit, right Ed?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

JohnU

I started with slims because they were the cheapest things to buy. I dont think Ive ever had more than one person ask me for one. I would suggest cigars, sierras and euros. That will cover all sizes of pen preferences. Thats what everyone around me asks for. Sierra style pens are nice and quick with only one body part but theres also no glueing or epoxy used to put them together so no waiting during assembly, not to mention the blank variety range from wood to embedded objects in resin. Cigars are nice because they will show off more of the blank and what its material has to offer. good luck and looking forward to seeing some of your work.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I think the slimline has garnered the reputation as the starter kit because when many of us started there wasn't many choices and when a few of us older ones started they were the only kit, right Ed?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Not only were they the ONLY kit, when you called to ask questions they simply answered, "If you want a hobby that doesn't need a little adjusting, take up "paint by number". The kits are NOT supposed to be foolproof!!"

I remember thinking how dumb I must be to ask for help.

"Ah, yes, I re..mem........ber... it, well"
(sung to tune of "Ah yes, I remember it well"):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

arioux

Hi,

Like the others, the cigar pen is a nice one to start with but don't neglect the slimline. It is one of the most forgiving, versatile and open to creativity kit around for beginners.
When you understand the way the pen works, that the lenght of the bottom or top barrel is not that important, that you can make the center band yourself or none at all, that the shape can be almost anything, and you start to play with those concept, your turning skill will evolve a lot faster.

Thake a look at Russ Fairfield site, he has 3 variations of the slimline that you can adapt to your taste after you made your first one.

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen10.html

A good article by Scott Grave about the making of your own centerband to give more caracter to your pen, Very good reading too.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2004/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

The slimline is the kit that took the most creativity out of me.

Top Bottom