What MM to buy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skeenum

I have recently started turning pens (made 4 or 5 to date). I enjoy it very much and I have learned a lot from the articles and forums at this site.
I am not currently using MM in my finishing process, but, would like to start. I see from previous posts that MM lasts a long time. Is there a particular kit I should buy> I notice Woodcraft (and others) have a kit for about $20.00. Is this the kit for a beginner that wants a good value.
Thanks to any and all that might help me with this question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I have used the same set of 2" pads for well over a year, maybe 15-16 months. I believe there are 9 pads in the set. It's a good deal.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I use the MM 3x6 sheets. The best price I have found is at www.WoodnWhimsies.com. I cut the sheets in half long way and get two sets from each purchase. They are heat sensitive so sand on slow and keep the sheet moving. I wash them by placing them in a net bag and throw them in the washer with warm water. I dry them by laying them out on a flat surface. I still have the original set I bought two years ago although I have bought extra since then.
You can wet sand with them as well which I do with all acrylics. Best wishes.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
If you subscribe to the "Buff it 'til it shines" method, you really only need 2-3 grits of MM: 4000-6000-8000.

I polish my pens start to finish with: 3M 220, 320, 400; 0000 steel wool; Wet sand with 4000, 6000 MM; buff with rubbing compound, polishing compound, metal polish; high quality auto wax.

IMG_6014.jpg

GK

Top Bottom