What makes a great pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

From my time on this site and all the reading I have done I understand opinions are going to vary. So staying with the basics this is what I understand and correct me if I am wrong.

Fit seems to rank real high. A good fit as I am taking it is with very, very close tolerance at the transition of the material turned to the kit parts. Pieces should be tight fitting and flow with the material.

Finish which ever is chosen should be free of any defects. When applying a CA finish no sand lines should show in the material or the layers of CA as they are built up. Finial finish should be smooth, clear and glossy (if that is the look your after).

I am going to include the kit in with the finish. Kit pieces should be defect free from scratches, nicks, dings and any other faults. Kit should work with the material turned and not take away from the materials "beauty". So, in other words don't use a kit that has more flash than the material.

So that brings us to the material. I guess everyone is going to have their own opinion on material. I prefer acrylics, but still like that look of wood. However the shape of the material is where I am hung up at. Is there a "generic" shape that is more appealing to a customer (for those of you that sell) or does each piece of material just speak to you so to say (mine still aren't speaking).

What does everyone else think? Do I have it for the most part or am I missing something?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

It is all personal preference (by the turner and the client/buyer).

Shape. I am a B2B guy and believe in the classic, clean, simple lines. I don't care for coves, again that is my personal choice/preference. Look at what major higher priced produced pens...what do you see shape wise? Maybe there is a reason for that.

Materials. Here is where I deviate from the mass produced pens. They mostly use plastic because it lends itself for mass production well. I prefer wood and believe that, if I make a handcrafted piece...use materials that are not commonly used on mass produced pens.

Same reasoning can be used on the shape...make one that is not available elsewhere making it unique that way (just not for me).

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Your question is like asking what makes a great woman. Each of us have our own distinct opinions on both. However, since I think you are looking for a middle of the road answer, I would point you to either Stylus or Pen World magazines. Glancing through the pages of articles and ads will give you an idea that classic lines and plastic make what most folks consider an excellent pen. Great depends largely on the budget. A Lamy Safari is a great $30 fountain pen. A Mount Blanc 149 is a great $700 fountain pen. A Penchetta (PenWorks) is a great $200 fountain pen.

I've not made a great pen either, Dario! [8D]

aurrida

well heres a few of my thoughts

assuming you want to write with it then i guess it has to be functional.

it also has to feel and sit comfortably in its users hands.

it may or may not necessarily be aesthetically pleasing to look at, but the material has to feel good to the touch.

now, i guess if it is going to meet the above criteria then a pen has to be designed within a relatively narrow design spec.

unfortunately though these design limits are relatively narrow they still allow for an astronomical amount of variations.

you will of course need to include cultural preference when coming to some conclusion.

you will also need to account for fluctuations due to fashion trends, new materials etc.

you could research the subject and you may come to some sort of informed conclusion. and naturally, you will have to deal with the skeptics that will take pleasure in proving you wrong.

or you can just make them and let someone else decide if there great or not.

;)

thefunkyP

Perfection itself has multiple definitions and is hard to nail down. It must have that balanced marriage of form and function. For me it isn't worth making a pen if it isn't used, but I also find it difficult to use a pen that I don't appreciate it. Function is typically the easier of the two qualities to accomplish as most kits I've found will generally write well, and if not can be upgraded rather easily for a price (better nibs, materials, finishes, tools, etc.). Form though, is the more difficult quality to achieve. There are many factors to consider as you have the user's personal tastes to consider, there is a cultural/popular element of design that changes with the seasons, as well as the desire for a unique form, and probably many others.

In school they teach you about the design elements or rules such as flow, rhythm, balance, harmony, etc. I think any artist/designer/skilled craftsman will agree that every good design has many times as many bad designs that came before it. It is a pursuit and I think most learn to enjoy the pursuit/battle more than the finished design anyway. It's always fun to have a saga that goes with the pen! And when you get that perfect shape most likely it will not be so perfect after a year or sometimes just a season or at least in someone else's opinion.

I am currently pursuing a more streamlined shape that feels good in my hand and doesn't have too much of the kit interrupting the flow of the cap or body and is light enough to carry in a pocket but hefty enough to write smoothly with. Also for convenience sake I there to be no threads, yet appreciate the convenience of threads at times. For materials I tend to like the way wood turns and feels, but find most people tend to prefer the acrylics' colors. And for me it is understood that it will write well.

OldWrangler

A GREAT PEN is all these things the others have said but for me a GREAT PEN is one that makes other people want to own one. I make a lot of a Lone Star Flag pen that I get the blanks from Lyle Walden. I donated one to a raffle at a political fish-fry(a few months back) and since then have gotten an order for 8 from our Sheriff's office and am looking at making another 25 of them for a local company. They also sell great wherever I put them for sale. This is an $80 pen and I personally think it is GREEEEAT!!!!!
Of Course, the Lone Star Flag pen might not fly in Minnesota or California.

It's kinda like....Beauty is in the eyes of the beer-holder!!

woodworker

"What makes a great pen" is a great question. I keep watching to see if I can learn what really sells the most.

Back when I used to buy them at art and craft shows, I always chose the one with the most interesting wood because that is what I liked. Now I make them and give them away.

Usually I give the friend a choice from the last 15 or 20 pens I have recently turned. Price is not a concern as he or she can pick what ever they want as a gift. Women usually pick the slimline pens (probably because of size?) Except one gal whose father was a cabinet maker. She chose a Baron rollerball because of the Cocobolo that was a particularly beautiful piece of wood.

I have never been able to predict who will pick what pen. It is almost always a surprise and not the pen I would have picked to give to the person. I guess DCBluesman nailed the question with his "what makes a great woman" analogy.

Still enjoying and watching this thread to see what others think are the most popular pens.

redfishsc

Whatever pen that looks good, feels good, writes good, and that you are willing to pay $30-150 for that was handcrafted right here in America by a blue-collar artisan.

That is a great pen.

Dan_F

Originally posted by redfishsc

Whatever pen that looks good, feels good, writes good, and that you are willing to pay $30-150 for that was handcrafted right here in America by a blue-collar artisan.

That is a great pen.

Um...looks like the last two requirements leave a lot of folks on this forum out of the running.

Dan

bitshird

Based on Lou's theory, I'll need a pen that's a little bit over weight, works hard to write well for me, doesn't break down and go dry after 35 years, still looks good with a new coat of renwax, (even though there are a few dings in the finish) and feels wonderful in my hands ;);););)

Top Bottom