what looks good with Black TI?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Decided to try something other than ti gold and platinum for a change and picked up a couple of black TI Jr. Gents at Rockler this weekend. First time I will work with this finish, and just curious what most people think looks best on it, and what should be avoided?

I'm thinking of using woods at the blacker end of the spectrum, Ebony, ziricote, ect. I would think in general I would want to stay away from the browner woods, ie cocobolo, rosewoods, that type stuff.

Of course I know that general rules are defined by their exceptions, and if your favorite pen happens to be black ti with cocobolo, post a pic and let me see why I'm wrong.

I will probably stay with a matching custom centerband and finial, As those seem to be working pretty well for me.

I have seen some great black TI pens in SOYP, So I'm curious about the thought processes behind the selection.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arioux

hi,

If i can suggest, go to the photo album and search for "black ti". You will find many many example.
My favorite with black ti is amboyna burl.

Hope this help.

Alfred

allenworsham

Here is my first Jr. Gent in Cocobolo and Black Ti.

Not the best photos as they were quickies without the light tent. This one went to a friend at church this morning. While I have not got any turned yet, I have a number of Bethlehem Olive Wood blanks sitting on my workbench ready to turn to go on some Patriot Pens in Black Ti. I'll post some pics when I get them done.

200862332033_BlackTitanuim%20Open%20Cocobolo-1.jpg

20086233212_Black%20Titanium%20Closed%20Cocobolo-1.jpg

redfishsc

Anything with a good bright color to it.

Here's some things I think look sweet with black ti.
cocobolo
yellowheart
chacte viga (orange)
osage orange
redheart
bloodwood
paduak
Lignum vitae (a personal favorite)
trustone turquoise and white turquoise (blanco nero)
Lava flow acrylic from Bear tooth
Any of the dyed stabilized woods
any green, red, yellow, blue, or silvery acrylic

Rifleman1776

There are no 'rules' for what goes with what. As you can see, the range of opinions covers the spectrum. My taste would be woods that have some black streaking in the grain. Go with what pleases you. Eventually, you will have experience with what sells and what doesn't.

GBusardo

I like just about everything with a black TI kit. I am far from an expert, just my opinion. My customers seem to like the Gold and Chrome better though. Here is a pic of a Koa cigar in black TI. The pic isnt too good, but it gives you an idea.

200862423335_ckcigarbti.jpg

M

monkeynutz

I very much like the look of Osage Orange with black TI. I get a lot of requests for it.

rickstef

Redfish,

I agree on the Lava blank, but I wish it was more grey than brown, the one I got from Woodcraft was translucent brown, with the orange and red ribbons, if it were more grey/gray it would be a great pen

stolicky

I never realized how much Koa looked like mango.

Black Ti is one of my favorites. Like I find with most color matching, good contrast always looks good. Its even better if there is a hint of a similar color in the body, such as a darker line or figure.

hughbie

i have to agree with PaulDoug. the Black Ti is, in my opinion, one of the finest and elegant finishes. it is my favorite as well.

as what goes with it.......for me.....brown and dark colors.....
i made one for my friend...black Ti on Koa....very elegant

GBusardo

[/quote]

I never realized how much Koa looked like mango.

Black Ti is one of my favorites. Like I find with most color matching, good contrast always looks good. Its even better if there is a hint of a similar color in the body, such as a darker line or figure.

[/quote]

I bought this wood off the business classified here. This was not the premium Koa, but i'll tell ya, its pretty pretty wood! I wish I could have done it more justice. The mango I ahve is all lighter and yellowish. Mango is nice wood, but its not curly Koa IMHO.

JohnU

I think EVERYTHING looks good with black ti! Its one of my favorites and gives everything a very rich and elegant look, so dont be afraid to try it with everything!

Top Bottom