What a long, strange trip it's been....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I was cleaning out one of my computers in prep for loading win7 and came across this old pic of the first group of pens I ever made. Eeeekkkkk, and I gave (some of them) as gifts. Hope it really is the thought that counts. I still have the very first one (far left) so I dug it out and checked...Yes, it really does look that bad or worse in person. Turned with a butter knife and finished with the butter, I guess. Proud of the centerband on one side (but at least not shy of it on the other) funny looking pregnant bulge, buffing compound in the pores and all. Sheesh.

Here's the latest group I actually have a pic of, so that in a couple of years I can go Eeekkkk, I actually sold (some of) those. The last one Michael (crashmph) got stuck with as a PITH trade no less!

But anyway, if anybody else has some early/vs recent pics they would like to put out here for the groups entertainment, Please do. Let's see how far some of us have come. :)

Attachments

• group1.jpg
    group1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 407
  • group2.jpg
    group2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 372
  • PICT0232.jpg
    PICT0232.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 333
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crashmph

No worries James... we ALL have those pen pictures we look back on and cringe.

Here is some my earliest work. First one does not match well with the nib, finial or center band, and it was turned with a wood chisel (couldn't wait for the lathe chisels to come in). Second is just ugly with the bushing dust in the wood.

Slim%20Shiny%20Gold%20Maple%20.jpg

Slim%20Shiny%20Gold%20Curly%20Maple.jpg

Texatdurango

Yep, quite a difference indeed! It's interesting looking back at the pens we first made and how we were all about trying out all of our tools and carving every conceivable shape into our slimlines like we were turning mini candlestick holders. It appears that in the second photo you have gotten to like the finial customization and do it to most of your pens... Nice touch!

Here are my (from left to right) first and second pens, first "fancy" pen, first modified pen and one of my most recent pens. Looks like I sorta migrated from wood to plastic! :wink:

It's hard for me to believe I've been doing this for almost 3 years now, where has the time gone!

Attachments

• first-last-pens.jpg
    first-last-pens.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Lenny

My first and one more recent.
Still have so much to improve on. :)
What fun I've had in the last year though, thanks in the most part to the good people here!

Attachments

• 1stpen 005 copy.jpg
    1stpen 005 copy.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 147

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have a couple of my first pens, the first one is walnut it had a wax finish once upon a time. the second is mesquite, it had an ebony center band but it has been lost or broken. I know this pen went through the washer once or twice. It is out of round to the point it only lines up at one spot. For whatever reason I never felt compelled to make a candle stick out of my slim lines. I thought about bulges and the wasp waist look but never bothered to do one.

Attachments

• DSC_0182.jpg
    DSC_0182.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC_0183.JPG
    DSC_0183.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 142
Top Bottom