What is it like to work with Zircote?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

I've got a customer who wants a Sierra made with something dark. I don't want to use Ebony, with it's cracking issues. Zircote seems to have the color he is looking for so I'm wondering what it's like. Do you all have any other suggestions for a dark wood (close to black)that I don't have to worry about it cracking. Would African Blackwood be a good choice? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

African Blackwood along with some Zircotes will work. Both are easy to turn and look nice. Another possibility you might consider is Katalox (also spelled Catalox). BigRob has some and it in my opinion is very nice.

JimGo

If you want dark with a fairly uniform color, Katalox or African Blackwood would be my choice. If you want something with a little more prominant figure, Zircote is an excellent choice. I've found Zircote to be a little fragile some times, but not too bad.

chigdon

If you do Zircote then cross cut is the way to go -- which of course means turning cross cut wood. I also agree Blackwood is stable and easy to turn. It is not as easy to finish but better than ebony.

les-smith

I'd love to try some Irish Bog Oak, but man it's hard to come by. I've kept my eye on E-bay, there is a guy selling some in the UK, but he wants $30.00 for shipping. I haven't found any closer to home yet.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ziricote is one heck of a lot easier than bog oak!!!

Shipping from Europe runs a minimum of about $8 a pound, so don't be too surprised at $30.

doeringr

I've turned several items in walnut and then saturated it with a vinegar and steel wool solution. After a couple of treatments, it gets realy dark and walnut always finishes up really well. fwiw

Pikebite

Ed, just checked the shipping rates at the Post Office. With the current exchange rate it works out to about $9.50 a pound. That would ship 8-10 blanks depending on size. I just weighed a block of bog oak that is 9x2x2 inches and that weighs less than a pound (just).

Generally E-bay sellers never undercharge for the postage!

les-smith

Well, I made the Sierra and here it is. I really liked using the wood. I used BLO and it darkened it quite a bit. I like the kit, it seems like they are made really well. Thanks for all the replies.

200738222139_Zircote.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom