What Lathe...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am currently using the PSI Turncrafter Plus mini lathe and I'm thinking about an up grade. I don't intend to ever turn anything much other than pens. Who can give me an idea of a real good lathe for turning pens.

Also, what is a really good source (and brand) for pen turning gouges etc.
Thanks
Smitty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

Delta 46-460 is the top of the line right now. I have one and it rocks. Superior performance in every area. And it has the features that make it EZ to produce high quality pens.

There is a video on in on the Delta website. Watch it. And check out the accessories.
:cool::cool::cool:

bracky1

Stan you sound like my wife

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Good answer :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I started out with the basically the same mini lathe I have since upgraded to a Record DML305. I believe the Rikon 70-100 is the same lathe on your side of the pond.

The difference is huge especially if you use the lathe to drill your blanks. I HIGHLY recommend it.

JerrySambrook

I second the Jet or even the Jet mini.
One reson only, the design is tried, true, and has been around virtually unchanged for a long time.
Just make sure to buy vs, unless you run wide open all of the time

My .02

Jerry

Chief Hill

Stan you sound like my wife

Bahahahah. And Mine as well. You Already have a saw, why do you need a band saw now? Why can't you use the granite top table saw you spent 1000 dollars on?? Did you pay off your credit card yet???? BLA BLA my ears are ringing thinking about it.

GOOD LUCK Buying a new lathe. But really if all your doing is the pens I don't know that anything else would be much better per say...

But I am know expert I use a POS Mini lathe with no name on it.
But its Varialble speed so I am happy with it.

ldb2000

My first lathe was the same as yours but with a different name , my son still uses it and it works fine for kit pens but it isn't expandable enough for more advanced uses . The MT1 head stock and tail stocks limit what accessories you can buy for it .
I bought a Jet1014 vsi a little over a year ago and love it . It has a MT2 head and tail stock and the variable speed is something I couldn't live without (I hate changing the belt positions) .

I use and love the PSI carbide tipped 3 pc set . It takes a nice edge and keeps it far longer then any of my HSS tools meaning I can spend more time turning and less time sharpening .

Last edited:

Chris88

I have the Jet 1220VS and would highly recommend it. I have turned a lot of pens and starting to turn small bowls with it.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If pens are all that you desire to turn, what is wrong with what you have?

Never said there was anything wrong with what I have...said I was thinking about upgrading...it's kind of like buying a car, there doesn't have to be anything wrong with the old one to want a new one.:biggrin:

Fred

IF nothing is wrong with it then I would say buy a bigger capacity lathe as one day in the near future you will want to try turning a bowl or something else that your current lathe cannot handle. Don't limit yourself now as the urge will eventually come along!

lorbay

Never said there was anything wrong with what I have...said I was thinking about upgrading...it's kind of like buying a car, there doesn't have to be anything wrong with the old one to want a new one.:biggrin:
Hell if ya just want to upgrade buy a Oneway 12 -24 or a Vicmarc 10 -24. Tried em both, lovely machines.

Lin.

randyrls

The latest American Woodturner (AAW magazine) has a review of a lot of lathes in it comparing features and options. It is Winter 2009; vol 24 No 4

RAdams

Banned
WOOT on the Jet. The machine is amazing, and the customer service is second to none! +1 on VS too.

Top Bottom