What kits come in pencil?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Angela,

Not a total answer by any means, but the Berea Perfect Fit makes a nice pen and pencil set. All you have to do is buy the $2 Schmidt twist pencil mechanism and use it in place of the Parker refill.

Once Cute Cav, [;)]

Randy_

DSA: You should be able to modify, with very little effort, almost any twist pen that takes a Parker refill so it will accept the Schmidt pencil cartridge that Berea(and BB I imagine as well) sells. Mudder wrote up a nice tutorial that is posted in a number of places. I know for sure it is on the Arizona Silhouette site.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />DSA: You should be able to modify, with very little effort, almost any twist pen that takes a Parker refill so it will accept the Schmidt pencil cartridge that Berea(and BB I imagine as well) sells. Mudder wrote up a nice tutorial that is posted in a number of places. I know for sure it is on the Arizona Silhouette site.

I have been able to modify the oxford from woodcraft, many types of classic American pens into pencils and of course the sierra. There is a video in the library that shows you visually how it is done and also shows an "improvement" to the design. One pen that I have had trouble with is the cigar kit, seems that the nib design allows the point of the pencil mechanism to stick out too far for my taste.

I have made the offer and I will make it again. If you have trouble with the sierra conversion and have read the PDF and watched the video and cannot get it to work then send me a message through the forum and I will call you or you can call me and we'll figure it out together. There is at least three on this forum who can attest that I have done this and helped them.

One last thing..... If you mess up the pencil conversion you DO NOT ruin the pen. I have yet to see a mistake that will make it so you cannot go back to the pen refill and have an acceptable pen (that includes drilling completely through the nib end).

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Mudder,
What has been your experience with the life expectancy of the twist mechanisms that use the 0.7mm leads??

I have made a few of the Parker twist pencils, and their life was universally short, and measured in terms of weeks. The Perfect Fit mechanisms were better, but not much. Maybe I am expecting too much.

its_virgil

Off the top of my head, as you requested:
Slimline, Cigar, Americana, Perfect fit, Euro, Jr Gent, CSUSA Combo pen/pencil, Comfort pen from PSI, PSI easy grip, Gemini from PSI, EZ grip from PSI, Longwood from PSI, Father Sing, Wall street form woodcraft (discontinued) but maybe the broker from CSUSA or the CEO from PSI which are the same as the Wallstreet from WC, ... the top of my head just exploded. I hope this helps. I've not had luck with pencil mechanisms and don't make them unless someone orders a set. You've obtained info from mudder as to which kits are adaptable. The sierra is really an easy modification if you follow mudder's lead.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by angboy
<br />Anyone know off the top of their head which pen kits are available as pencil kits too? TIA!

M

Mudder

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />Mudder,
What has been your experience with the life expectancy of the twist mechanisms that use the 0.7mm leads??

I have made a few of the Parker twist pencils, and their life was universally short, and measured in terms of weeks. The Perfect Fit mechanisms were better, but not much. Maybe I am expecting too much.

Russ,

I cannot comment on the Parker twist pencil because I have only made one and did not care for it. The Sierra conversion uses the same mechanism that is in the perfect fit and I have well over 150 pencils in the field and have only had one returned and that was because the guy broke the mechanism while trying to put more lead in it. 3/4 of my pencils sold have been in Pen/Pencil sets so I'm not sure how heavily they are used but I have a 0.7 mm sierra that I have used daily for over a year and I've put a lot of lead through it without problems.

M

Mudder

A quick look at the PSI website shows they sell the following in pencils:

Cigar
Comfort
E Z Grip
Executive
Gemini
Longwood
Polaris
"Power"
slimline
slimline pro

HTH

Randy_

Originally posted by Mudder
[br.....One pen that I have had trouble with is the cigar kit, seems that the nib design allows the point of the pencil mechanism to stick out too far for my taste.....

My thoughts, exactly. The tip sticks out too far by about 2mm. I like the tip of the cartridge set up so that the spot on the tip where it transitions from being a cone shape to a cylindrical shape is exactly at the end of the tip of the pencil. That may be a little confusing unless you think about it for a minute. Another way to think of it is that the taper of the tip of the pencil flows smoothly to the taper of the tip of the cartridge without seeing any part of the cartridge tip that is not tapered. Not sure that is any clearer?? Hope you get the point.

Mudder: Seems like it should not be too hard to come up with some sort of bushing/spacer to keep the cartridge tip from being so fully exposed. Have you ever tried anything? It is on my list of things to fool with; but is not a high priority item and hasn't made the top of the list yet.

And for Russ: I have one of the Schmidt 0.7mm cartridges that goes in the Perfect Fit kit that is installed in a Cigar kit. Have been using it for more than a year without any problems. To be fair, though, it does not get "everyday" use.

Randy_

<br />.....I cannot comment on the Parker twist pencil because I have only made one and did not care for it.....
What is this "Parker twist pencil" you guys are talking about? That doesn't ring a bell with me?? Thanks.

M

Mudder

<br />
<br />.....I cannot comment on the Parker twist pencil because I have only made one and did not care for it.....
What is this "Parker twist pencil" you guys are talking about? That doesn't ring a bell with me?? Thanks.

http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKPARK-PCL.pdf

PSI sold them (and still might)

its_virgil

It is the Americana Flat Top pencil. The others sell them also.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />
<br />

Randy_

<br />
<br />

Thanks.

I just checked and PSI still sells them; but have changed the name to "CLASSIC" TWIST PENCIL. I'll bet they had a nasty letter from the Parker lawyers demanding that they remove the reference to Parker from the name??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom