What is a kitless pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert111

I would describe a "kitless" pen as one that is not made on brass tubes, or any tubes for that matter. Of course, no manufactured pieces are used except a clip and a nib assembly (usually).

Most kitless pens are fountain pens, but a few are ballpoints or rollerballs. Some call them "custom" feeling that the term kitless does not communicate accurately or sufficiently the essential nature of such a pen.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
And "a custom pen" covers using parts of a donor kit without using all of it. Kitless can mean different things to different people.

its_virgil

I don't think brass tubes need to be omitted to make a kitless pen. Just my opinion. Other terms used when making a pen using some kit parts and or changing the looks of a kit such as a recessed clip or closed end can be called a custom pen or a modified "Whatever" pen. If we make all of the parts of a pen ourself then assemble it couldn't that be considered a "kit" pen? We make the parts instead of purchasing them.:biggrin: I also agree that kit less means different things to different people. Not trying to start an argument…just thinking out loud.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
A kit pen involves purchasing all the necessary materials (usually less blank(s)) along with instructions on how to turn and assemble. Although there were predecessors, the term kitless started to be used regularly on this forum about 5 or 6 years ago when some of us bought taps and dies, started to make our own designs and figured out how to assemble and manufacture all or most of the parts. Usually these were beyond just modified kits.

navycop

Good question Dan.. I always thought of a kitless as kind of Frankenstien monster. Different pieces and parts from other kits. This clearifies it a little.

frank123

I would classify it as one where you are the maker who does all the design, machine work, and fitting of everything but the actual nib and feed (fountain) or refill and click mechanism (ball point or RB) instead of assembling premachined parts already designed to fit together by someone else and producing a standard type of product.

Going a step farther and making your own nib and feed or click mechanism and clip if you use one should give the distinction of a sole author made pen and not just a kitless (in the most basic form, I suppose a feather quill could be called that, but primitive may be a better designation for that level of sole authorship).

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Essentially 'kitless' is whatever you want it to be. The discussion as to what is "kitless" has been going on for several years with a half-dozen or so different ideas about what it should be.

Consider this... Cartridge pens were once 'kitless' you gathered the parts, figured out how to get them to go together and did what you needed to do to make the pen - you can still do that, but now you can also buy "kits". So when you have one in your hands it could either made from a kit, or not.

Last edited:

edstreet

'kitless' is like saying

drivers ed teacherless vehicle
gasless oven
gasless water heater
gasolineless car
training wheel-less bicycle
learner permitless driver

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
'kitless' is like saying

drivers ed teacherless vehicle
gasless oven
gasless water heater
gasolineless car
training wheel-less bicycle
learner permitless driver

Got one of those --- even though my house is served with natural gas, the idiot who built the house installed an electric range and didn't include a gas line to hook up a gas range.:biggrin:

I've had one of those a time or two over the last 60 years or so - perhaps not totally gasolineless but enough so that I couldn't make it go anyplace.

Jim Burr

Banned
'kitless' is like saying

drivers ed teacherless vehicle - Simulator
gasless oven - Electric oven
gasless water heater - Solar H2O heater
gasolineless car - Tesla
training wheel-less bicycle - Tricycle
learner permitless driver - Licensed Driver

Top Bottom