What kit type can you recommend?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Hello guys,

To date I have only turned slimlines and Euro (Mont Blanc) style and felt ready to veture tackling better looking pens. Yeah, I have you all to blame for showing all those great looking pens...now what used to look great are just okay :D to me.

The ones that I am considering are Baron, Gentleman, Jr Gent, etc. but not sure yet. I don't want big ones...something like the Euro will be ideal.

I need help in choosing and where to get the supplies (kits, mandrel, bushings, and all the good stuff).

Thank you for any assistance,

Dario :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

The Baron and the Jr Gent are medium pens that can be adapted to regular and closed end styles. The baron comes in more kit platings (BB) but the Jr Gent has a nice looking tapered cap for the tail section if you like that style. The other difference is the nib. the Baron is faceted and the Gent is round. Just depends on your preference.

vick

Americana roller ball, and double twist ballpoint are both nice medium sized pens. The cigar pens area little bigger but I definately recomend that you try them they are cheap are feal great to write with.

BogBean

Why leave out the large pens? The Cigar is nice a pen and a good seller. Kit prices run $2.95 and up which is cheap for a pen kit that will sell as a finished pen for $35.00 and up. I turn both the Jr Gent and The Baron for the reasons that Woodscavenger stated...

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Do you want to turn what you like or what you think OTHER PEOPLE might like?
Have you explored the possibilites of what modifying a slim line can do.
One of the most beautiful pens I ever saw was a modified slim line made of drigt wood.
I like to think I make some uniqu pens and almost always start with a slimline for experimental purposes.
The pens that have been mentioned are nice pens but are pretty much staright bodied pens.
The coolest looking corn cob I ever turned was my first on a limline.
The perfect Fit Is a Nice Parker style pen that adapts easily to design modifications, virtually a fool proof mechanism.
The cigar is a good option but you wanted to stay away from big pens,You don't want to make pens for people who like big pens?
In short it's a good question, but a little more information as to what you want the reccomendations based on whould be helpful.
The components don't make "great Looking pens.
Fit and finish are more imporatant.
I have a good friend that says
"you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig"
Goes the same with "kits and pens

Dario

Originally posted by cteaglesc

The components don't make "great Looking pens.
Fit and finish are more imporatant.
I have a good friend that says
"you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig"
Goes the same with "kits and pens

I think this quote is right on but I probably see it on reverse [;)]. For me the kit is the foundation and is very important (not just the lipstick).

I am a traditional guy...not much into different shapes (not slamming any of it...just not my style). Simple lines of the classics I like. I would say it is my preference not to use the big pens just because I don't like it much. I find it harder to make things that I don't like [:I] to begin with so with a choice why should I? [:)]

I am hoping to sell my pens more...but at the rate I am going, I am giving about 85% of my pens away. Not sure I can do that with more expensive kits, not that I don't want to...just can't afford to.

Thank you for the input guys! Now I have to look at the catalogs more and decide.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Dario-
I don't like to use slimlines so the same goes here.I don't make the "classic" slimline, I hate skinny pens and am not crazy about big ones either.
That is why I make modified slimlines.
Take a look at the pen I posted "long antler"
It may not be the exact style you are looking for but the concept is I took a design from a kit that is sold as a "Longwood" by PSI.
The antler was free the burl was free and the kit is a Woodturningz"Fancy Slimline" the cost of the "kit" is $2.00.
That pen will sell for $45-50 .
Well that's what I am shooting for and I have my time, skill,and thought process to justify my asking price.Maybe will even charge more.(depends on the shade of lipstick I put on it)
[:D]

dubdrvrkev

Dario, I'd have to agree with most of the comments put forth so far.
IMHO Cigars, are pretty good pens to play with. The kits are pretty inexpensive and they show off the wood well and there is some freedom of design. The thing I don't like is the twist holder fitting, it is a radius piece that presses in right where you have a nice flat square end on your barrel. It just doesn't flow "right" to me. None the less I still really like the pen, its got good feel, nice heft, double twist, and Parker (I like the gel) refill.
Barons work for me too and I like the platings you can get on them, I just wish they had option for a tapered end cap like Jr Gent. They allow a lot of design flexability also. I never go wild but I also rarely have a straight barrel pen.

Thumbs

I have found the Cigar to be a really well balanced pen. You have almost every bit of design capability with it as you do a SlimLine, I think. It feels much better in your hand, to me, and can be cut into a light body shape that is more appealing to the ladies as well! Of course, I have to agree with Eagle here, my SlimLines never look like the standard shapes either. I don't like the skinny flat or bulbous shapes! Sorry, you'll just have to take my word for it! For some reason those simple constraints of geometry and mechanics still have a huge number of untold and unexplored expressions for both these pens. I also agree with whoever said, "Do your own thing!" Do what gives you pleasure or fun.......unless you're forced to by market forces! Doing what you enjoy almost always delivers a better product! FWIW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom