What kit sells best for you?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Manny

I seem to see Sierra and Cigar kits being used as a good low to mid end kits to fill out inventories. The cigar seems to be a favorite based on the posts I have been reading.

What kits are your favorite to make and why?
What kits seems to sell best over all for you?
What kit has the highest ROI on average? (Kit cost vs selling price)

thanks for the input
Manny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

If you turn on a mandrel you can turn 2 sierra blanks with 4 bushings, thats 2 finished pens in the time it takes to make a 2 barreled pen. Time is money, you'd knock out a couple of sierras in no time at all. I,ve also turned a number of sierra blanks on extra tubes, so when needed i just purchase the kits and assemble the pens

GouletPens

Yeah sierras are definitely the most profitable b/c of the 2 per mandrel. And they're fast to assemble. They are good sellers for me, as well as euros. Honestly, Cigars haven't done well for me. People say they're too big. Barons are probably the next best seller.

jkeithrussell

I don't sell many pens, but among those I have sold or given away, the Slimline and Euro are the most popular. Sierra is close 3rd. I personally like the Cigar pen, but I have gotten a lot of feedback that people think they are too big.

jedgerton

For me, Euro pens sell the best. I use CSUSA's rhodium kit and it's weight and appearance are what I think makes it a good seller. As far as Sierra's go, I have a hard time selling them. I don't know if this is the issue but to me, only a small part of a Sierra pen is comprised of the turned material.

For my higher end kits, I use Jr. Gent II's and Jr. Statesman kits. I don't sell that many but they do command a descent selling price.

Regarding the ROI question, for me its just a matter of how negative can it get :biggrin:. For any individual pen the ROI might be fine but overall, there is no way I have found to make this hobby profitable (although I know others have).

John

massman

Sierra all the way. So many hardware finishes at half the wood use! Plus its a favorite with it's size for the pocket and quick turn to use with no cap to post. More profit for less work and equal beauty if you use the right wood. I sold over 50 Sierra Amboyna Burls with assorted hardware finishes at $50.+ each last year.

JohnU

I dont do shows yet, but I sell a lot at work and by personal orders. I dont think any one kit sells more than the other. For me its been personal choice by the customer. Sierra, cigar, classic twist, and euro seem to be the most that I make with an occasional Jr. Gent. Material has something to do with it also, because most of my anter pen requests are comfort pens, feather and snakskin are sierra, acrylic are cigar and euro, and most of my classic twists are wood. My profits are about the same across the table with each pen kit, but this is mostly because I dont charge enough. (working on that!)

JimB

Sierra's are my most popular and the one I like to make the most. I've also bought most of the kits on sale so my ROI is also good. I've also sold quite a few Comfort style (no rubber grip). They are a very popular size for those that don't want a large pen but find the slim line to slim.

Darrin

I'll chime in with Sierra's and RT Euros being my most popular. Barons both FT and RB are catching on though at a higher price.

beck3906

I often have customers ask for suggestions as to what to buy for a male or for a female. One of the thoughts I offer anyone is that some people like slimmer pens so they don't feel so large in the hand or weigh down your short pocket. Slim lens also fit well wrapped in a checkbook. I also suggest that some people like heavier pens because they are easier to grasp. Cigars are a good selection for people with hand ailments such as arthritis...more to grasp.

Offer all different types and show/tell customers why some are better than others.

Last edited:

bruce119

My own experience and probably has a lot to do with location. There's not much money here. I Manly do Euros, slimlines, cigars, sierras, sketch pencils and some barron RB. My best seller would be the sketch pencils then the euros then sierras. Funny I like cigars but they really don't sell well.

I do a lot of talking in my shows and do a lot of local woods and unique stuff. After talking about the sketch pencil and showing how it works (and BTW it holds a charcoal stick perfectly) I usually sell one. They are my biggest seller.

Bruce

Top Bottom