What kit is next?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

theHullTurn

Ok so heres the thing. Im currently still just doing slimlines. :eek: Now that im more experienced and have worked some of my earlier problems out i am ready to upgrade! The dilema however is what to move on to? There are so many choices!! What would be the best pen kit to move on to after slimlines. Im looking for one thats not too expensive and not at the expert level. Any ideas?

Also, whats the least expensive fountain pen kits out there that would be good to try my hand at those?:)

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

The Flat top American, comes to mind, but I'm more inclined towards the PSI classic, woodnwhimsies for around 8.50
Or a much better kit is an El Grande or Jr Gentleman and a popular pen as well Exotic Blanks has a great price on the Jrs.

Last edited:

Dave_M

Let's see... Baron, Cigar (A.S. has these on sale right now), maybe Perfect Fit if you want to give cutting the tenon a shot. It's not hard to do. Just watch your measurements carefully and go slow. The Flat Top American has to be my least favorite kit from a build perspective.

jbostian

I was only turning slimlines up until about the time of Christmas. I went to the Cigar pen for my next pen. They aren't too expensive and I really like the feel of them when they are finished. I also started turning the Euro style but those require cutting a tenon. I got lucky on the first attempt and it was pretty nice. My second one turned out not so well. But I like the style and will continue making the until I get it right. Take care and good luck with the next style pen.

Jamie

Daniel

Cigar, Euro or Americana style pens are good low cost choices. but actually there are a lot of pen styles that fall into the lower cost catagory. I personally have always liked the Polaris style pens and have a couple I made for myself. I still like it but have recently been pining for a sierra style pen. In short find something to make for yourself. I believe that when I personally like the style of pen I enjoy making them more. I also find that the creative part of me wakes up just a bit as well. I start paying more attention to the lines that the pen already has and spending more time trying to work with those lines etc. selecting material that will work well with that shape. in truth I am constantly being suprised at just how many fine details can effect the final look of such a small item. It makes the difference for me in wether it is a pen. or Holy Cow that is a nice pen. You can get there now and then almost by accident. but to do it on pourpose is art.

Texatdurango

Cigar, they sell better than Sierras for me.

Sierras, they sell better than cigars for me! :)

Actually it's true because I have never made a cigar pen in my life! And this just goes to show that out of thousands of turners you are going to get hundreds of recommendations.

I tend to agree with what Wolftat said. There are so many nice kits out there that are only a few dollars per kit and are just as easy if not easier than the slimline. The Sierra is probably the easiest kit I ever assembled.

And as Ken said, the El Grande or Jr Gentleman either one would make a smashing fountain pen for under $15.

ZanderPommo

i like slims, they sell well
i also like sierras, and cigars. try woodnwhimsies for cheap kits, ive had very good luck with them so far, and their customer service is unmatched in my book (except for ecoticblanks, so far the best customer service by a lot)

sierras are easy to assemble, but a nice cigar is worth more to me than a nice sierra, with a few exceptions.
im sending you mostly double blanks, but also a couple singles for sierras.

the euro is a great look, but i have not tried them so i have yet to add them to my line of products.

by the way you should get a universal barrel trimmer, as well as the adapter for the sierra/gatsby/monet
at woodnwhimsies that should cost ya about $20

for FP and rollerball kits, i have yet to try them but they're on my list, i like the look (and price) of the barons and the tycoons (PSI)
another overlooked, elagant pen style is the trident (PSI's Polaris)
very simple, small, 1 piece kit. ive found women love them (and gatsby(sierras) for "purse pens" and they often by a slimline as a "for home" pen

just my .02
hope this helps

ZanderPommo

Sierras, they sell better than cigars for me! :)

Actually it's true because I have never made a cigar pen in my life! And this just goes to show that out of thousands of turners you are going to get hundreds of recommendations.

I tend to agree with what Wolftat said. There are so many nice kits out there that are only a few dollars per kit and are just as easy if not easier than the slimline. The Sierra is probably the easiest kit I ever assembled.

And as Ken said, the El Grande or Jr Gentleman either one would make a smashing fountain pen for under $15.

i think the reasin slims are the toughest is that they're just that...slim
acrylics tend to show through and wood tends to explode with slims, especially if your going bushing to bushing

Make one of each style for you. Try them all. If you are selling them you can't begin to guess what the customer wants. Go figure, I had a small petite lady pick out a dark blue cigar pen for herself, and had a giant of a man pick our a flat top american ballpoint for him... If I could figure what the customer wanted I would be a wealthy man. Good luck thanks for sharing.

DurocShark

Sierras are fun and easy, but I've sold few. I mostly use them for demos, gifts, and testing concepts such as my carved overlays.

I've come back around to the slim. Not bushing to bushing, but with some modifications like thicker with my own center band.

Euros sell well too. The tenons don't get me like they do other people for some reason.

Zen is a good seller for me. Magnetic cap is a big hit.

The Jr's are ok. Full sized pens are impressive to people, but only sold one. Haven't started pushing them yet though.

I've never turned a Cigar. I have some blanks for cigars in my shop that have been pestering me. I'm going to have to try them someday...

glycerine

How much do you want to spend? I'd say a cigar because they are still in the lower price bracket. Then I'd go for a Baron/Navigator/Gentlemen...

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great information above. And agreed that if you can master a slimline, you can do most any.
1. Sierra's are the easiest IMO.
2. Cigars do offer some experience at angles and multiple sizing on one pen, and it is a little heavier.
3. The Baron will lend itself to creating closed end, which is a degree of customization that makes pens more unique.

None of these pens are real expensive for their base pens.

One tool that helps when moving from slimlines to other designs is a digital calipers. Using bushings for sizing is OK, but calipers will help get the precision needed for great fits long after bushings wear down.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Kit Choice

Well you might try a bunch of different ones...but, you can get low cost funlines in comfort and designer styles...streamline/trimline are also fairly easy. Sierra's are probably easier than slimlines but they will cost a good deal more. It really depends, I still do (after about 2 years) mostly slimline because of kit cost and versitility, lots of different turning possibilities.

Bree

I would vote for Cigar. They will fill a BIG need for a big pen!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

gwisher

I went from slim lines to the Euro. At first I didn't know there was a tenon required so I messed up the first few but now I like them. I have made probably 10-15 of them so far and like the look. I wen't to the euro so I didn't have to invest in a different size mandral right away. Now I want to move on to the cigar or a Jr. Gent.

Mac

Polaris-cigar- serria all use a parker style refill which you can up grade with a gel or other and can get a better writing pen. You can also get a better refill for your slims. this will help some sales. Just something else to think about.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Why move on so quickly? The SlimLine is the most versatile kit there is. You can make your own center-bands, closed-ends, recessed clips, long desk pens, 1-piece barrels, segmented barrels, strange and different materials, and the list goes on.

Cigar, they sell better than Sierras for me.

Me too... but then I don't make the Sierra anyway 'cause I don't like the look of it... I've made a few of the Tapa Pacific, which is much like the Sierra and still have a few of them...

I really like the Baron, but the price of the kits have gone up considerably since the first few I made... they still sell well for me.

Top Bottom