What kit has thickest material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have an idea for a really cool pen and need a kit with the thickest wall outside the tube. I am going to be casting something in resin and need some room to work. Suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

I would say the thickest is a Euro 8mm but that does not give you much in size. When I did the hat pin pen I used a cigar.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Go creative - use the slimline and do away with the clip. Team up with Paul in OK for a custom machined center band and even a nib. :)

I forgot about the Atlas/Polaris - they have a good bit of room but are shaped differently.

Last edited:

winpooh498

PSI's Guardian, Just guessing (without measuring) I would say it has 3-4 times the amount of material left on the tube after turning. I personally don't care for the kit, but we make it for people with joint issues.

jskeen

I would recommend either the sierra vista, or if you can get one, the tropical baron or sierra kits. The tropical kits come with pretubed blanks, but they use different bushings and have larger fittings as i understand. BB has them on sale.

workinforwood

Cigar is the best choice in my opinion. You can spin a new nib transition ring if you need it to be even beefier and the centerband can be customized, replaced or removed if need be, the finial can be rebuilt, very versatile pen kit, and the price is right!

leehljp

Member Liaison
OK Curtis, now how many of the 10 suggested so far - are you going to make to figure out which is the best one for your needs? :biggrin:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I will stick to the Sierra Vista since I really don't care for the others mentioned!:)

Anthony, is the Elegant Beauty even thicker than the Sierra Vista?

Here's a different idea. PSI has a minibullet pen. It is a short, fat pen uses 7mm tube and is 5/8" wide after turning. It ends up only 3 inches long, but may be good to experiment with.

Ken

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Anthony is, of course, correct. Another consideration, however, is how tight a "turn" your material will make. Smaller tubes means SOME materials will crack, like the abalone and MOP used by AS.

Just another consideration.

FWIW

PenWorks

come on Curtis, there is no such thing as a onesy :biggrin: Evertime I make something new or special, I always make them in 3's or 6. I asume the worst case senareo that the lone original is never going to make it through to completion :eek:

Top Bottom